Subject: bug#29980: closed (Re: bug#29980: 11.90.2.2017-07-25; Failed to generate images of the preview)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2018 21:50:02 +0000

Your bug report

#29980: 11.90.2.2017-07-25; Failed to generate images of the preview

which was filed against the auctex package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
29980: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=29980
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#29980: 11.90.2.2017-07-25; Failed to generate images of the preview
From: Arash Esbati <[email-masked]>
To: 韦星宇 <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2018 22:48:59 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

韦星宇 <[email-masked]> writes:

> Thank you for your reply.

Hi Xingyu,

you're welcome.  For future communication, please use the "reply to all"
command in your MUA.  Thanks.

> I updated my AUCTeX to version 12.1 and everything went well.
>
> Thank you again for your time.

Glad to hear that it works for you.  I'm closing this report.

Best, Arash

Subject: 11.90.2.2017-07-25; Failed to generate images of the preview
From: 韦星宇 <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2018 22:10:36 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Remember to cover the basics. Including a minimal LaTeX example
file exhibiting the problem might help.

Greetings.

When I used Emacs to write my reports for a course with LaTeX, I found
that Emacs did not show the preview successfully. Then, I used the
following LaTeX file to check whether there was a problem:

\documentclass{article}

\begin{document}

\section{Formulas}
\[
E = mc^{2}
\]

\end{document}

It seemed that everything went well according to the log of the
previewing. However, since I enabled caching, I checked the temporary 
folder
and found a file named preview.dsc only. There should be a image file
(.jpeg), according to the log.

I tried to reinstall the ghostscript, since it is the last thing called
according to the log. However, the problem still exists.

Could anyone help me what should I check to solve this problems?

Thanks in advance.

The output of the preview-report-bug is following:

Emacs : GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, NS 
apple-appkit-1265.21)
of 2015-04-11 on builder10-9.porkrind.org
Package: 11.90.2.2017-07-25

Run buffer contents:

Running `Preview-LaTeX' on `_region_' with ``xelatex -file-line-error 
"\nonstopmode\nofiles\PassOptionsToPackage{active,tightpage,auctex}{preview}\AtBeginDocument{\ifx\ifPreview\undefined\RequirePackage[displaymath,floats,graphics,textmath,sections,footnotes]{preview}[2004/11/05]\fi}" 
"\input" _region_.tex''
This is XeTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-0.99998 (TeX Live 2017) (preloaded 
format=xelatex)
restricted \write18 enabled.
entering extended mode
LaTeX2e <2017-04-15>
Babel <3.10> and hyphenation patterns for 84 language(s) loaded.

No auxiliary output files.

(./_region_.tex !name(test.tex)
(/usr/local/texlive/2017/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 2014/09/29 v1.4h Standard LaTeX document class
(/usr/local/texlive/2017/texmf-dist/tex/latex/base/size10.clo))
No file _region_.aux.
(/Users/xingyuwei/.emacs.d/elpa-24.5/auctex-11.91.0/latex/preview.sty
(/usr/local/texlive/2017/texmf-dist/tex/generic/luatex85/luatex85.sty)
(/Users/xingyuwei/.emacs.d/elpa-24.5/auctex-11.91.0/latex/prtightpage.def)
(/Users/xingyuwei/.emacs.d/elpa-24.5/auctex-11.91.0/latex/prauctex.def
No auxiliary output files.

(/Users/xingyuwei/.emacs.d/elpa-24.5/auctex-11.91.0/latex/prauctex.cfg))
(/Users/xingyuwei/.emacs.d/elpa-24.5/auctex-11.91.0/latex/prfootnotes.def)
Preview: Fontsize 10pt
Preview: PDFoutput 1
) !name(test.tex) !offset(-1)
./_region_.tex:7: Preview: Snippet 1 started.
<-><->

l.7 \[

Preview: Tightpage -32891 -32891 32891 32891
./_region_.tex:9: Preview: Snippet 1 ended.(566233+0x12579156).
<-><->

l.9 \]

[1] )
(see the transcript file for additional information)
Output written on _region_.pdf (1 page).
Transcript written on _region_.log.

TeX Output exited as expected with code 1 at Thu Jan 4 21:38:12
Running `Preview-PDF2DSC' with ``pdf2dsc _region_.pdf 
_region_.prv/tmp19261nAh/preview.dsc''

Preview-PDF2DSC finished at Thu Jan 4 21:38:12
Running `Preview-Ghostscript' with ``/Library/TeX/texbin/rungs 
-dOutputFile\=\(_region_.prv/tmp19261nAh/pr1-\%d.jpeg\) -q -dDELAYSAFER 
-dNOPAUSE -DNOPLATFONTS -dPrinted -dTextAlphaBits\=4 
-dGraphicsAlphaBits\=4 -sDEVICE\=jpeg -r110.522x110.836''

Preview-Ghostscript finished at Thu Jan 4 21:38:12

current state:
==============
(setq
AUCTeX-version "11.90.2.2017-07-25"
LaTeX-command-style '((""
"%(PDF)%(latex) %(file-line-error) %(extraopts) %S%(PDFout)")
)
image-types '(png gif tiff jpeg xpm xbm pbm)
preview-image-type 'jpeg
preview-image-creators '((dvipng
(open preview-gs-open
preview-dvipng-process-setup)
(place preview-gs-place)
(close preview-dvipng-close))
(png (open preview-gs-open)
(place preview-gs-place)
(close preview-gs-close))
(jpeg (open preview-gs-open)
(place preview-gs-place)
(close preview-gs-close))
(pnm (open preview-gs-open)
(place preview-gs-place)
(close preview-gs-close))
(tiff (open preview-gs-open)
(place preview-gs-place)
(close preview-gs-close))
)
preview-dvipng-image-type 'png
preview-dvipng-command "dvipng -picky -noghostscript %d -o 
\"%m/prev%%03d.png\""
preview-pdf2dsc-command "pdf2dsc %s.pdf %m/preview.dsc"
preview-gs-command "/Library/TeX/texbin/rungs"
preview-gs-options '("-q" "-dDELAYSAFER" "-dNOPAUSE"
"-DNOPLATFONTS" "-dPrinted"
"-dTextAlphaBits=4" "-dGraphicsAlphaBits=4")
preview-gs-image-type-alist '((png png "-sDEVICE=png16m")
(dvipng png "-sDEVICE=png16m")
(jpeg jpeg "-sDEVICE=jpeg")
(pnm pbm "-sDEVICE=pnmraw")
(tiff tiff "-sDEVICE=tiff12nc"))
preview-fast-conversion t
preview-prefer-TeX-bb nil
preview-dvips-command "dvips -Pwww -i -E %d -o %m/preview.000"
preview-fast-dvips-command "dvips -Pwww %d -o %m/preview.ps"
preview-scale-function 'preview-scale-from-face
preview-LaTeX-command '("%`%l 
\"\\nonstopmode\\nofiles\\PassOptionsToPackage{"
("," . preview-required-option-list)
"}{preview}\\AtBeginDocument{\\ifx\\ifPreview\\undefined" 
preview-default-preamble "\\fi}\"%' %t")
preview-required-option-list '("active" "tightpage" "auctex"
(preview-preserve-counters
"counters")
)
preview-preserve-counters nil
preview-default-option-list '("displaymath" "floats" "graphics"
"textmath" "sections" "footnotes")
preview-default-preamble '("\\RequirePackage["
("," . preview-default-option-list)
"]{preview}[2004/11/05]")
preview-LaTeX-command-replacements nil
preview-dump-replacements '(preview-LaTeX-command-replacements
("\\`\\([^ ]+\\)\\(\\( +-\\([^ 
\\\\\"]\\|\\\\\\.\\|\"[^\"]*\"\\)*\\)*\\)\\(.*\\)\\'" "\\1 -ini 
-interaction=nonstopmode \"&\\1\" " preview-format-name ".ini \\5")
)
preview-undump-replacements '(("\\`\\([^ ]+\\) .*? \"\\\\input\" 
\\(.*\\)\\'" "\\1 -interaction=nonstopmode \"&" preview-format-name "\" 
\\2")
)
preview-auto-cache-preamble 'ask
preview-TeX-style-dir 
"/Users/xingyuwei/.emacs.d/elpa-24.5/auctex-11.91.0/latex"
)

Output from running `/Library/TeX/texbin/rungs -h':
GPL Ghostscript 9.22 (2017-10-04)
Copyright (C) 2017 Artifex Software, Inc. All rights reserved.
Usage: gs [switches] [file1.ps file2.ps ...]
Most frequently used switches: (you can use # in place of =)
-dNOPAUSE no pause after page | -q `quiet', fewer messages
-g<width>x<height> page size in pixels | -r<res> pixels/inch resolution
-sDEVICE=<devname> select device | -dBATCH exit after last file
-sOutputFile=<file> select output file: - for stdout, |command for pipe,
embed %d or %ld for page #
Input formats: PostScript PostScriptLevel1 PostScriptLevel2 
PostScriptLevel3 PDF
Default output device: bbox
Available devices:
alc1900 alc2000 alc4000 alc4100 alc8500 alc8600 alc9100 ap3250 atx23
atx24 atx38 bbox bit bitcmyk bitrgb bitrgbtags bj10e bj10v bj10vh bj200
bjc600 bjc800 bjc880j bjccmyk bjccolor bjcgray bjcmono bmp16 bmp16m
bmp256 bmp32b bmpgray bmpmono bmpsep1 bmpsep8 ccr cdeskjet cdj1600 cdj500
cdj550 cdj670 cdj850 cdj880 cdj890 cdj970 cdjcolor cdjmono cdnj500 cfax
chp2200 cif cljet5 cljet5c cljet5pr coslw2p coslwxl cp50 declj250 deskjet
devicen dfaxhigh dfaxlow dj505j djet500 djet500c dl2100 dnj650c epl2050
epl2050p epl2120 epl2500 epl2750 epl5800 epl5900 epl6100 epl6200 eplcolor
eplmono eps2write eps9high eps9mid epson epsonc escp escpage faxg3
faxg32d faxg4 fmlbp fmpr fpng fs600 gdi gprf hl1240 hl1250 hl7x0
hpdj1120c hpdj310 hpdj320 hpdj340 hpdj400 hpdj500 hpdj500c hpdj510
hpdj520 hpdj540 hpdj550c hpdj560c hpdj600 hpdj660c hpdj670c hpdj680c
hpdj690c hpdj850c hpdj855c hpdj870c hpdj890c hpdjplus hpdjportable ibmpro
ijs imagen inferno ink_cov inkcov itk24i itk38 jetp3852 jj100 jpeg
jpegcmyk jpeggray la50 la70 la75 la75plus laserjet lbp310 lbp320 lbp8
lex2050 lex3200 lex5700 lex7000 lips2p lips3 lips4 lips4v lj250 lj3100sw
lj4dith lj4dithp lj5gray lj5mono ljet2p ljet3 ljet3d ljet4 ljet4d
ljet4pjl ljetplus ln03 lp1800 lp1900 lp2000 lp2200 lp2400 lp2500 lp2563
lp3000c lp7500 lp7700 lp7900 lp8000 lp8000c lp8100 lp8200c lp8300c
lp8300f lp8400f lp8500c lp8600 lp8600f lp8700 lp8800c lp8900 lp9000b
lp9000c lp9100 lp9200b lp9200c lp9300 lp9400 lp9500c lp9600 lp9600s
lp9800c lps4500 lps6500 lq850 lxm3200 lxm5700m m8510 md1xMono md2k
md50Eco md50Mono md5k mgr4 mgr8 mgrgray2 mgrgray4 mgrgray8 mgrmono miff24
mj500c mj6000c mj700v2c mj8000c ml600 necp6 npdl nullpage oce9050 oki182
oki4w okiibm oprp opvp paintjet pam pamcmyk32 pamcmyk4 pbm pbmraw pcl3
pcx16 pcx24b pcx256 pcxcmyk pcxgray pcxmono pdfwrite pgm pgmraw pgnm
pgnmraw photoex picty180 pj pjetxl pjxl pjxl300 pkm pkmraw pksm pksmraw
plan plan9bm planc plang plank planm plib plibc plibg plibk plibm png16
png16m png256 png48 pngalpha pnggray pngmono pngmonod pnm pnmraw ppm
ppmraw pr1000 pr1000_4 pr150 pr201 ps2write psdcmyk psdcmykog psdrgb
pxlcolor pxlmono r4081 rinkj rpdl samsunggdi sj48 spotcmyk st800 stcolor
t4693d2 t4693d4 t4693d8 tek4696 tiff12nc tiff24nc tiff32nc tiff48nc
tiff64nc tiffcrle tiffg3 tiffg32d tiffg4 tiffgray tifflzw tiffpack
tiffscaled tiffscaled24 tiffscaled32 tiffscaled4 tiffscaled8 tiffsep
tiffsep1 txtwrite uniprint xcf xes xpswrite
Search path:
/usr/local/Cellar/ghostscript/9.22/share/ghostscript/9.22/Resource/Init :
/usr/local/Cellar/ghostscript/9.22/share/ghostscript/9.22/lib :
/usr/local/Cellar/ghostscript/9.22/share/ghostscript/9.22/Resource/Font :
/usr/local/Cellar/ghostscript/9.22/share/ghostscript/fonts :
/usr/local/Cellar/ghostscript/9.22/share/fonts/default/ghostscript :
/usr/local/Cellar/ghostscript/9.22/share/fonts/default/Type1 :
/usr/local/Cellar/ghostscript/9.22/share/fonts/default/TrueType :
/usr/lib/DPS/outline/base : /usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/Type1 :
/usr/openwin/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType
For more information, see 
/usr/local/Cellar/ghostscript/9.22/share/ghostscript/9.22/doc/Use.htm.
Please report bugs to bugs.ghostscript.com.