Subject: Re: [bug#29973] [PATCH] gnu: newsbeuter: Supersede.

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2018 20:42:29 +0100

Leo Famulari wrote on 04/01/18 at 18:34:
> Is there something that requires the package definition to be moved?

newsbeuter refers directly to ,newsboat. I get an error message if
newsboat isn't defined before newsbeuter.

> I'm not sure what's silly about it?

What I meant to say was: there might be a better way to do this than a
100-line patch, but this is the best I can come up with.

I don't really understand why

  (define-public foo (package ... (inputs `(("bar" ,bar)))))
  (define-public bar ...)

appears to work, while

  (define-public foo (package ... (properties `((superseded . ,bar)))))
  (define-public bar ...)

seems to fail.

Hence feeling a bit silly, and vague waving of hands, and whispering
‘probably macros I guess?’

I should really pick up that book about making elephants eat cake again.

Kind regards,

T G-R