Subject: no -A argument for 'tr' generates an error message whenever the AIX command "lslpp -L" is used (AIX 6.1 and later).

From: Michael <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2018 17:32:38 +0100

1). AIX 5.3 (/usr/bin/tr) as an argument (-A) that was not used by the 
command 'lslpp', so the message does not occur:

root@x064:[/home/prj/gnu/coreutils-8.29]/usr/bin/tr -A
tr: 0653-712 The combination of options and String parameters is not legal.
Usage: tr [ -[c|C] | -[c|C]ds | -[c|C]s | -ds | -s ] [-A] String1 String2
        tr { -[c|C]d | -[c|C]s | -d | -s } [-A] String1
root@x064:[/home/prj/gnu/coreutils-8.29]/opt/bin/tr -A
/opt/bin/tr: invalid option -- 'A'
Try '/opt/bin/tr --help' for more information.
root@x064:[/home/prj/gnu/coreutils-8.29]lslpp -L | grep coreutils
   aixtools.gnu.coreutils.man.en_US
                             8.29.0.0    C     F    gnu coreutils man pages
   aixtools.gnu.coreutils.rte
                             8.29.0.0    C     F    gnu coreutils 
02-Jan-2018
   aixtools.gnu.coreutils.share
                             8.29.0.0    C     F    gnu coreutils 
universal files
root@x064:[/home/prj/gnu/coreutils-8.29]oslevel -s
5300-07-00-0000

2). AIX 6.1 - at some point - modified it's command "lslpp" to utilize 
"tr -A" - and now, when coreutils are preferred - this generates an 
error message on AIX.

root@x072:[/home/prj/gnu/coreutils-8.29]oslevel -s
6100-06-01-1043
root@x072:[/home/prj/gnu/coreutils-8.29]/usr/bin/tr -A
tr: 0653-712 The combination of options and String parameters is not legal.
Usage: tr [ -[c|C] | -[c|C]ds | -[c|C]s | -ds | -s ] [-A] String1 String2
        tr { -[c|C]d | -[c|C]s | -d | -s } [-A] String1
root@x072:[/home/prj/gnu/coreutils-8.29]/opt/bin/tr -A
/opt/bin/tr: invalid option -- 'A'
Try '/opt/bin/tr --help' for more information.
root@x072:[/home/prj/gnu/coreutils-8.29]lslpp -L | grep coreutils
tr: invalid option -- 'A'
Try 'tr --help' for more information.
/usr/sbin/rpm_share[440]: =/usr/bin/awk: This is not an identifier.
   aixtools.gnu.coreutils.man.en_US
                             8.29.0.0    C     F    gnu coreutils man pages
   aixtools.gnu.coreutils.rte
                             8.29.0.0    C     F    gnu coreutils 
02-Jan-2018
   aixtools.gnu.coreutils.share
                             8.29.0.0    C     F    gnu coreutils 
universal files

The following is not REALLY - a solution. But I hope it clarifies the issue.

root@x072:[/home/prj/gnu/coreutils-8.29]mv /opt/bin/tr /opt/bin/trXXX
root@x072:[/home/prj/gnu/coreutils-8.29]lslpp -L | grep coreutils
   aixtools.gnu.coreutils.man.en_US
                             8.29.0.0    C     F    gnu coreutils man pages
   aixtools.gnu.coreutils.rte
                             8.29.0.0    C     F    gnu coreutils 
02-Jan-2018
   aixtools.gnu.coreutils.share
                             8.29.0.0    C     F    gnu coreutils 
universal files
root@x072:[/home/prj/gnu/coreutils-8.29]