Subject: bug#29934: in virtual machines the graphical dektop environment randomly fails to show up

From: Catonano <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2018 20:39:05 +0100

2018-01-02 18:15 GMT+01:00 Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]>:

> On Tue, 2 Jan 2018 15:31:49 +0100
> Catonano <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> > You said that I could have logged in from the host terminal, right ?
> >
> > How do I do that ?
> >
> > The host terminal is running qemu, there are the messages that I'm
> pasting
> > here, no prompt
>
> Then no getty is running.
>
> Please add
>
>     (mingetty-service-type config =>
>                            (mingetty-configuration
>                             (inherit config)
>                             (tty "/dev/ttyS0")))))
>
> to (services ...) in vm-config-desktop.scm .
>
> Maybe agetty instead of mingetty, I forgot...
>
> That should start a login thingie on the serial.
>

Good news !

adding the mingetty service I get this

<unknown location>: error: invalid field specifier

when calling guix system vm

Also, I fiddled with the mingetty service line, to no good

I read here that mingetty should be in the %base-services ?

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/htmlhttps://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Base-Services.html#Base-Services_node/Base-Services.html#Base-Services

Anyway, I tried without --expose=$HOME \ and it works

catonano CAN log in, now

Here:

New session c2 of user catonano.
/gnu/store/r4rfxxi8k4gql53vfcr3ns9l2mksd3m2-xauth-1.0.10/bin/xauth:  file
/home/catonano/.Xauthority does not exist
error in finalization thread: Successo
gnome-session-binary[772]: WARNING: Could not parse desktop file
xscreensaver.desktop or it references a not found TryExec binary
Jan  2 20:18:53 localhost gnome-keyring-daemon[817]: couldn't access
control socket: /run/user/1000/keyring/control: File o directory non
esistente
** Message: couldn't access control socket: /run/user/1000/keyring/control:
File o directory non esistente
Jan  2 20:18:53 localhost gnome-keyring-daemon[818]: couldn't access
control socket: /run/user/1000/keyring/control: File o directory non
esistente
** Message: couldn't access control socket: /run/user/1000/keyring/control:
File o directory non esistente
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/run/user/1000/keyring/ssh
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/run/user/1000/keyring/ssh
SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/run/user/1000/keyring/ssh
Gjs-Message: JS WARNING: [resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/main.js 317]:
reference to undefined property global.stage
Gjs-Message: JS WARNING: [resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/layout.js 217]:
reference to undefined property global.window_group
Gjs-Message: JS WARNING:
[resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/osdMonitorLabeler.js 59]: reference to
undefined property Meta.MonitorManager
GNOME Shell-Message: Failed to launch ibus-daemon: Esecuzione del processo
figlio «ibus-daemon» non riuscita (File o directory non esistente)
Gjs-Message: JS WARNING: [resource:///org/gnome/shell/ui/slider.js 34]:
reference to undefined property St.GenericAccessible
dbus[384]: [system] Activating service name='org.freedesktop.GeoClue2'
(using servicehelper)
dbus[384]: [system] Successfully activated service
'org.freedesktop.GeoClue2'
Gjs-Message: JS WARNING:
[resource:///org/gnome/gjs/modules/tweener/tweener.js 540]: reference to
undefined property properties[istr].isSpecialProperty
GNOME Shell-Message: No permission to trigger offline updates:
Polkit.Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1.Error.Failed: Action
org.freedesktop.packagekit.trigger-offline-update is not registered
GNOME Shell-Message: Error loading calendars: Errore nel chiamare
StartServiceByName per org.gnome.Shell.CalendarServer:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Process
org.gnome.Shell.CalendarServer exited with status 1

(gsd-sharing:879): sharing-plugin-WARNING **: Failed to StopUnit service:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
org.freedesktop.systemd1 was not provided by any .service files

(gsd-sharing:879): sharing-plugin-WARNING **: Failed to StopUnit service:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
org.freedesktop.systemd1 was not provided by any .service files

(gsd-sharing:879): sharing-plugin-WARNING **: Failed to StopUnit service:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
org.freedesktop.systemd1 was not provided by any .service files

(gsd-rfkill:877): rfkill-plugin-WARNING **: Could not open RFKILL control
device, please verify your installation
/gnu/store/llp6klxx0gz9zcwhfcaklhp0gv3x178f-gnome-disk-utility-3.26.2/libexec/gsd-disk-utility-notify:
Relink
`/gnu/store/x999chw1v0qz0z8k61k51q44jn5srqg6-libpng-1.6.29/lib/libpng16.so.16'
with
`/gnu/store/3h31zsqxjjg52da5gp3qmhkh4x8klhah-glibc-2.25/lib/libpthread.so.0'
for IFUNC symbol `longjmp'
GNOME Shell-Message: Error looking up permission:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
org.freedesktop.impl.portal.PermissionStore was not provided by any
.service files
GNOME Shell-Message: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied:
gnome-shell not allowed to act as agent

(gsd-color:889): color-plugin-WARNING **: failed to get edid: unable to get
EDID for output

(gsd-color:889): color-plugin-WARNING **: unable to get EDID for
xrandr-default: unable to get EDID for output
GNOME Shell started at Tue Jan 02 2018 20:18:57 GMT+0100 (CET)

There's a shocking amount of warnings and erros, missing resources and so
on, in fact the resulting desktop is somewhat awkward (blu background, no
picture)

BUT it works

I opened the file browser (Nautilus ?) and the utility to visualize the
disk utilization

I'd say that the session is viable

I don't now why, as I don't understand the X layers stack, and I don't
understand qemu.
Which 2 users accessing the .Xauthority file ?
And what is this .Xauthority file useful for, anyway ?

But I'm satisfied nonetheless.

I want to use a virtual machine to test my Trytond service and Tryton has a
native GUI client so a graphical environment is necessary

I could connect a client running in the host to the sevice running in a so
called headless guest but I see this line, when I launch qemu

Warning: vlan 0 is not connected to host network

so I'm not sure I want to go there

Thank you Andy, I know I strained your patience
I appreciate that 🙏

Ciao