Subject: bug#29908: 25.3; Rendering issue for GUI when running as daemon

From: "Rob Shin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2017 06:46:42 +0100

I have emacs daemon running,

and running emacsclient -c or emacsclient -nc grants rendering issues that I'm not really sure how it's being generated.

A screenshot of the bug can be viewed at https://imgur.com/a/dpKcV

Running emacsclient -t works fine.

In GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.26)
of 2017-12-04 built on arojas
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
Configured using:
'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
--localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft --with-modules
'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
-fno-plt' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES

Important settings:
value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=nimf
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Web

Minor modes in effect:
projectile-mode: t
global-company-mode: t
company-mode: t
global-flycheck-mode: t
flycheck-mode: t
global-linum-mode: t
linum-mode: t
winum-mode: t
rainbow-identifiers-mode: t
rainbow-delimiters-mode: t
recentf-mode: t
winner-mode: t
persp-mode: t
evil-leader-mode: t
global-undo-tree-mode: t
undo-tree-mode: t
shell-dirtrack-mode: t
evil-mode: t
evil-local-mode: t
which-key-mode: t
shackle-mode: t
helm-mode: t
async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
tooltip-mode: t
global-eldoc-mode: t
electric-indent-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
global-visual-line-mode: t
visual-line-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Out of memory ((image :type xpm :data /* XPM */ static char * arrow_right[] = { "0 2 3 1", "0 c #3c3836", "1 c #333333", "2 c #373534","","",}; :ascent center :face powerline-inactive2))
Out of memory ((image :type xpm :data /* XPM */ static char * arrow_right[] = { "0 2 3 1", "0 c #1c1c1c", "1 c #3c3836", "2 c #2c2a28","","",}; :ascent center :face mode-line-inactive))
Out of memory ((image :type xpm :data /* XPM */ static char * arrow_left[] = { "0 2 3 1", "0 c #1c1c1c", "1 c #3c3836", "2 c #2c2a28","","",}; :ascent center :face mode-line-inactive))
Out of memory ((image :type xpm :data /* XPM */ static char * arrow_left[] = { "0 2 3 1", "0 c #3c3836", "1 c #1c1c1c", "2 c #2c2a28","","",}; :ascent center :face powerline-inactive1))
Out of memory ((image :type xpm :data /* XPM */ static char * arrow_left[] = { "0 2 3 1", "0 c #1c1c1c", "1 c #333333", "2 c #272727","","",}; :ascent center :face powerline-inactive2))
Out of memory ((image :type xpm :data /* XPM */ static char * arrow_right[] = { "0 2 3 1", "0 c #3c3836", "1 c #333333", "2 c #373534","","",}; :ascent center :face powerline-inactive2))
Out of memory ((image :type xpm :data /* XPM */ static char * arrow_right[] = { "0 2 3 1", "0 c #1c1c1c", "1 c #3c3836", "2 c #2c2a28","","",}; :ascent center :face mode-line-inactive))
When done with this frame, type C-x 5 0
Quit
delete-window: Attempt to delete minibuffer or sole ordinary window
evil-line-move: Beginning of buffer

Load-path shadows:
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ox-man hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ox-man
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ox-html hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ox-html
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-irc hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-irc
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-indent hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-indent
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ox-texinfo hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ox-texinfo
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-datetree hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-datetree
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-makefile hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-makefile
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-R hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-R
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-gnuplot hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-asymptote hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-asymptote
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-mhe hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-mhe
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-picolisp hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-maxima hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-maxima
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-inlinetask hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-matlab hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-matlab
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-plot hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-plot
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-fortran hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-fortran
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-emacs-lisp hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-macro hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-macro
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-comint hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-comint
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-ruby hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-ruby
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-ctags hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-ctags
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-table hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-table
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-dot hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-dot
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-ocaml hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-archive hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-archive
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-screen hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-screen
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-compat hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-compat
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-clojure hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-clojure
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ox-publish hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ox-publish
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ox-org hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ox-org
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-perl hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-perl
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ox-latex hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ox-latex
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-eshell hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-eshell
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-timer hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-timer
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-mscgen hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-ref hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-ref
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-mouse hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-mouse
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-faces hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-faces
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-table hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-table
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-plantuml hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-sqlite hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-tangle hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-tangle
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-octave hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-octave
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-entities hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-entities
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-bibtex hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-rmail hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-rmail
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-docview hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-docview
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-clock hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-clock
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-scheme hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-scheme
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-sql hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-sql
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-python hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-python
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-info hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-info
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-element hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-element
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-ledger hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-ledger
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-latex hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-latex
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ox-beamer hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ox-beamer
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-colview hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-colview
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-lob hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-lob
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-eval hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-eval
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-exp hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-exp
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-w3m hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-w3m
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-css hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-css
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-habit hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-habit
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-macs hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-macs
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-keys hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-keys
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-agenda hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-agenda
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ox-icalendar hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ox-icalendar
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-version hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-version
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-org hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-org
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-gnus hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-gnus
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-io hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-io
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-feed hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-feed
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-capture hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-capture
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-haskell hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-haskell
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-src hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-src
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-list hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-list
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-attach hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-attach
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ox-ascii hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ox-ascii
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-crypt hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-crypt
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-footnote hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-footnote
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ox-odt hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ox-odt
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-calc hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-calc
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-awk hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-awk
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-lilypond hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-core hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-core
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-C hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-C
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ox-md hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ox-md
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-ditaa hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-java hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-java
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-mobile hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-mobile
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-js hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-js
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-lisp hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-lisp
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ox hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ox
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-sass hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-sass
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-protocol hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-protocol
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-install hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-install
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-pcomplete hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-id hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-id
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-bbdb hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/ob-shen hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/ob-shen
/home/rob/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20171116/org-loaddefs hides /usr/share/emacs/25.3/lisp/org/org-loaddefs

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message idna rfc822 mml mml-sec epg
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils helm-external
helm-net xml ffap term/xterm xterm dired aggressive-indent server
whitespace projectile grep ibuf-ext ibuffer company-oddmuse
company-keywords company-etags company-gtags company-dabbrev-code
company-dabbrev company-files company-capf company-cmake company-xcode
company-clang company-semantic company-eclim company-template
company-css company-nxml company-bbdb company-anaconda anaconda-mode
pythonic python tramp-sh url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse
url-vars mailcap tramp tramp-compat auth-source gnus-util mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr password-cache tramp-loaddefs trampver ucs-normalize
languages slime-company slime-fancy slime-trace-dialog
slime-fontifying-fu slime-package-fu slime-references
slime-compiler-notes-tree slime-scratch slime-presentations bridge
slime-macrostep macrostep slime-mdot-fu slime-enclosing-context
slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-trace slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c
slime-editing-commands slime-autodoc slime-repl slime-parse slime
arc-mode archive-mode hyperspec browse-url inf-groovy compile
groovy-mode rjsx-mode js2-mode etags xref project js sgml-mode cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars
cc-defs imenu nvm dash-functional f web-mode disp-table company flycheck
json map rx org-indent visual linum gruvbox-theme gruvbox autothemer
neotree winum spaceline-config spaceline-segments s spaceline subr-x
powerline powerline-separators powerline-themes dash rainbow-identifiers
color rainbow-delimiters user-evil dashboard dashboard-widgets recentf
tree-widget wid-edit page-break-lines org-agenda org-element avl-tree
org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref
ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat
org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar
cal-loaddefs bookmark pp user-evil-leaders hydra lv winner persp-mode cl
evil-leader evil evil-integration undo-tree diff evil-maps evil-commands
flyspell ispell evil-jumps evil-command-window evil-types evil-search
evil-ex shell pcomplete comint ansi-color evil-macros evil-repeat
evil-states evil-core evil-common windmove thingatpt rect evil-digraphs
evil-vars user-whichkeys time-date which-key user-shackle shackle trace
user-helm helm-command helm-elisp helm-eval edebug helm-info ring
helm-mode helm-files helm-buffers helm-tags helm-locate helm-grep
helm-regexp helm-utils helm-help helm-types helm-config helm-easymenu
async-bytecomp helm easy-mmode helm-source cl-seq eieio-compat eieio
eieio-core cl-macs helm-multi-match helm-lib advice async finder-inf
edmacro kmacro info slime-autoloads package epg-config seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs
pcase cl-lib mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame
cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai
tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 658535 40909)
(symbols 48 59508 1)
(miscs 40 1072 328)
(strings 32 150951 20634)
(string-bytes 1 4801294)
(vectors 16 88407)
(vector-slots 8 1270087 3561)
(floats 8 1013 1848)
(intervals 56 3037 562)
(buffers 976 28))