Subject: bug#29895: Parted 3.2 accessing /dev/mmcblk0rpmb considered a bug?

From: Ceriel Jacobs <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2017 15:00:54 +0100

eMMC spec 4.5 has a tiny (2MiB or 4MiB) Replay Protected Memory Block.
As well as UFS and NVMe have support for RPMB.

That RPMB area is protected from readwrite access.

---
The kernel has been patched to not access this rpmb area:

$ dmesg | grep rpmb
[    6.712468] mmcblk0rpmb: mmc0:0001 SEM04G partition 3 2.00 MiB
---
Parted (GNU parted) 3.2 still tries to access the RPMB:

Error: /dev/mmcblk0rpmb: unrecognised disk label
Warning: Error fsyncing/closing /dev/mmcblk0rpmb: Input/output error
Retry/Ignore?

Resulting in dmesg logged errors like:

[46684.715228] print_req_error: I/O error, dev mmcblk0rpmb, sector 0
---

Should (GNU) parted be patched too, or not?

Cheers, Ceriel