Subject: bug#29889: 27.0.50; Slow visual selection

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 12:11:12 +0200

Po Lu <[email-masked]> writes:

> Why is that surprising, though?  Activating the mark makes the region
> display in the "region" face, so its availability in the primary
> selection becomes obvious to the user, since it really is "selected".
>
> Consider typing M-h and then inserting the contents of the region into
> another program with a middle-click, or typing C-h a and doing the same.
>
> That is how other X programs behave, and isn't possible if
> `select-active-regions' is `only'.

Other programs don't have a concept of a point and mark, so that's
pretty moot.  In other programs, if you mark stuff with the mouse, or
the equivalent of the selecting directional keys, then things (may) end
up on the clipboard -- which is what `only' does.

(Sometimes even that doesn't make things end up on the clipboard, and
you have to type Cmd-C or the like.)

`M-h M-w' is the expected way to put the paragraph on the clipboard in
Emacs.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no