Subject: bug#29889: 27.0.50; Slow visual selection

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 04:13:09 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Skimming the rest of the thread, the discussion was about
> select-active-regions and whether to have it to `only' or t.  It's still
> t (which, if I understand correctly, was the problematic value).  

The doc string here is confusing (and wrong?)

--------
If non-nil, an active region automatically sets the primary selection.
If the value is ‘only’, only temporarily active regions (usually made
by mouse-dragging or shift-selection) set the window selection.

This takes effect only when Transient Mark mode is enabled.
--------

"window selection" should probably be "primary selection"?  The "This"
is confusing -- is it referring to `only' or to all non-nil values?  I
think it's the latter.

In any case, I think changing the default to `only' here would make a
lot of sense, but on the other hand, the t value has been the default
for a long time, so changing it now might just be too annoying.

Eli, what do you think?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no