Subject: Re: bug#29889: 27.0.50; Slow visual selection

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2018 10:37:04 +0200

> From: Sujith <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2018 06:45:22 +0530
> 
> I have set 'select-active-regions' to 'only' in my .emacs
> to address this issue. Is this the recommended solution for
> this problem ?

That would be my recommendation, yes.  Especially if you happen to
deal frequently with large regions, and you did not disable
transient-mark-mode.

In fact, I cannot understand why the default was changed to t in
7c23dd4.  The discussions leading to those changes all mention the
value 'lazy' (later renamed to 'only') as the default, and there's
nothing I could find explaining why t was eventually deemed a better
default.

Regardless, I still wonder whether region-extract-function should call
buffer-substring-no-properties, at least when it's used to set the
primary selection.  Stefan, any thoughts?