Subject: Re: bug#29889: 27.0.50; Slow visual selection

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2022 19:45:33 +0800

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Other programs don't have a concept of a point and mark, so that's
> pretty moot.  In other programs, if you mark stuff with the mouse, or
> the equivalent of the selecting directional keys, then things (may) end
> up on the clipboard -- which is what `only' does.

If you select text (i.e. it becomes highlighted) in any program, that
program owns the primary selection.  When another program requests the
primary selection, it is transferred what is currently highlighted in
the selection owner -- it doesn't matter how things were highlighted, as
long as it has been highlighted, the program should own the primary
selection.

When you select stuff with the mouse, nothing _ever_ ends up in the
clipboard.  The clipboard is only set when the user asks the program to
"copy" or "cut" text.

> (Sometimes even that doesn't make things end up on the clipboard, and
> you have to type Cmd-C or the like.)
>
> `M-h M-w' is the expected way to put the paragraph on the clipboard in
> Emacs.

You're mistaking the clipboard for the primary selection.