Subject: bug#29464: closed (Re: bug#29884: Appears -fstack-protector-strong can cause the test-out-of-memory crashes)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2025 21:19:02 +0000

Your bug report

#29884: gcc-7 breaks guile-2.2.2?

which was filed against the guile package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
29884: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=29884
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#29884: Appears -fstack-protector-strong can cause the test-out-of-memory crashes
From: Rob Browning <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2025 15:18:38 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Rob Browning <[email-masked]> writes:

> While updating Debian to 2.2.3 (and trying to get 2.2 building on all
> the release architectures) I hit the previously reported
> test-out-of-memory failure, or something similar.
>
> I spent a while poking at it, and it looks like -fstack-protector-strong
> can reliably cause the crash.

This appears to be fixed now.  After a successful make check with the
debian packaging of 3.0.10[1] on
https://db.debian.org/machines.cgi?host=perotto in a ppc64el chroot, I
ran that tree's test-out-of-memory in a loop for a while with no
crashes.

[1] Still specifies -fstack-protector-strong.

-- 
Rob Browning
rlb @defaultvalue.org and @debian.org
GPG as of 2011-07-10 E6A9 DA3C C9FD 1FF8 C676 D2C4 C0F0 39E9 ED1B 597A
GPG as of 2002-11-03 14DD 432F AE39 534D B592 F9A0 25C8 D377 8C7E 73A4

Subject: gcc-7 breaks guile-2.2.2?
From: Dan Kegel <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2017 20:17:59 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Building guile-2.2.2 seems fine on Ubuntu 17.04, but fails with

Warning: Unwind-only `out-of-memory' exception; skipping pre-unwind handler.
FAIL: test-out-of-memory
==================================
1 of 39 tests failed
Please report to [email-masked]

on Ubuntu 17.10.  libgc is the same version on both, but gcc is different...
and if I pick gcc-6 on ubuntu 17.10 (instead of the default gcc-7),
it seems to succeed.

Mentioned at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/guile-2.2/+bug/1734575
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/2017-11/msg00062.html
Possibly related to
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2017-11/msg00016.html