Subject: Emacs server not detected in Mac OS High Sierra

From: Artemio González López <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2017 00:04:41 +0100

When a .tex file is opened in Emacs 25.3.1 under macOS 10.13.2 High Sierra by double-clicking on it always launches a second instance of Emacs, even if a server process is already running (launched by a “(server-start)” line at the beginning of my .emacs file). This problem did not occur in the previous system (macOS 10.12 Sierra).

In GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, NS appkit-1265.21 Version 10.9.5 (Build 13F1911))
 of 2017-09-12 built on builder10-9.local
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.1561
Configured using:
 'configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-modules'

Configured features:
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS NS MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US@currency=EUR.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  TeX-PDF-mode: t
  TeX-source-correlate-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  tabbar-mwheel-mode: t
  tabbar-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:

</body>
</html>
"
Mark set [2 times]
(No changes need to be saved)

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache epg gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils sgml-mode browse-url
find-dired semantic/fw mode-local find-func grep dired-aux thingatpt
etags xref cl-seq project eieio eieio-core preview prv-emacs reftex-dcr
reftex-auc reftex reftex-vars bib-cite noutline outline texmathp
flyspell ispell tex-bar toolbar-x font-latex plain-tex tex-buf latex
tex-ispell tex-style tex crm advice tex-mode compile shell pcomplete
comint ansi-color ring latexenc dired paren delsel cus-start cus-load
edmacro kmacro tabbar cl-macs easy-mmode session cl exec-path-from-shell
finder-inf info tex-site package epg-config seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cl-extra help-mode easymenu cconv cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
server time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win ucs-normalize term/common-win
tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment
elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer
select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian
slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote kqueue cocoa ns
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 487290 45697)
 (symbols 48 31265 0)
 (miscs 40 170 1083)
 (strings 32 54115 16658)
 (string-bytes 1 1816127)
 (vectors 16 50700)
 (vector-slots 8 1560700 162051)
 (floats 8 320 758)
 (intervals 56 49471 1837)
 (buffers 976 33))

Artemio González López
[email-masked]