Subject: [bug#29880] [PATCH] gnu: grep: Add PCRE support.

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2018 09:54:56 +0100

Hello,

Roel Janssen <[email-masked]> skribis:

> I have been maintaining a separate package for grep with PCRE support
> for the users on our cluster.  What I would like to add is that at least
> Debian and RedHat enable PCRE in their grep versions.  So using Guix's
> grep broke some scripts.
>
> If compatibility with other GNU/Linux distributions counts for anything,
> I'd say we should enable it.  I am in favor of enabling PCRE.

OK, that makes sense.

> We could provide a separate version of grep without PCRE as a
> grep-minimal.

Alternately, what we could do is:

  1. Keep ‘grep-final’ as it is right now (without PCRE support; this
     has never been a problem so far.)

  2. Add PCRE to ‘grep’ itself (like Oleg did).

Thoughts?

Ludo’.