Subject: bug#29843: 25.3; Emacs crash when running emacsclient

From: Mike Kupfer <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2017 12:29:06 -0800

I ran "emacsclient -c" to get a new Emacs frame on a system running MATE
on Debian 9.  IIRC, a new frame appeared for a split second and then
disappeared.  (I'm afraid the crash happened a few days ago and I'm just
now getting to filing the bug report.)  I found a core file; gdb says
there was a segmentation fault.  This is the first and only time I've
seen such a crash.

I'll hold onto the core file for a couple weeks in case there is
additional information to extract from it.

(gdb) bt full
#0  0x00007f0441b83f9f in raise () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0
No symbol table info available.
#1  0x00000000004d99d1 in terminate_due_to_signal (sig=sig@entry=11, 
    backtrace_limit=backtrace_limit@entry=40) at emacs.c:381
No locals.
#2  0x00000000004f14ce in handle_fatal_signal (sig=sig@entry=11)
    at sysdep.c:1601
No locals.
#3  0x00000000004f16d9 in deliver_thread_signal (sig=sig@entry=11, 
    handler=0x4f14c0 <handle_fatal_signal>) at sysdep.c:1575
No locals.
#4  0x00000000004f173f in deliver_fatal_thread_signal (sig=11) at sysdep.c:1613
No locals.
#5  handle_sigsegv (sig=11, siginfo=<optimized out>, arg=<optimized out>)
    at sysdep.c:1695
        fatal = <optimized out>
#6  <signal handler called>
No symbol table info available.
#7  reconsider_clip_changes (w=w@entry=0x3764378) at xdisp.c:13452
No locals.
#8  0x000000000044b755 in redisplay_internal () at xdisp.c:13647
        w = <optimized out>
        sw = <optimized out>
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---
        pending = false
        must_finish = <optimized out>
        match_p = <optimized out>
        tlbufpos = <optimized out>
        tlendpos = <optimized out>
        number_of_visible_frames = <optimized out>
        sf = <optimized out>
        polling_stopped_here = <optimized out>
        tail = <optimized out>
        consider_all_windows_p = <optimized out>
        update_miniwindow_p = <optimized out>
#9  0x000000000044db1a in redisplay_preserve_echo_area (
    from_where=from_where@entry=9) at xdisp.c:14324
No locals.
#10 0x0000000000589ba0 in wait_reading_process_output (
    time_limit=time_limit@entry=0, nsecs=nsecs@entry=0, 
    read_kbd=read_kbd@entry=-1, do_display=true, 
    wait_for_cell=wait_for_cell@entry=0, wait_proc=wait_proc@entry=0x0, 
    just_wait_proc=0) at process.c:4613
        old_timers_run = 2340
        old_buffer = 0x2a0bc00
        old_window = 58082173
        process_skipped = false
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---
        channel = <optimized out>
        nfds = <optimized out>
        Available = {fds_bits = {0 <repeats 16 times>}}
        Writeok = {fds_bits = {0 <repeats 16 times>}}
        check_write = <optimized out>
        check_delay = <optimized out>
        no_avail = <optimized out>
        xerrno = 11
        proc = <optimized out>
        timeout = {tv_sec = 100000, tv_nsec = 0}
        end_time = {tv_sec = 36, tv_nsec = 0}
        timer_delay = <optimized out>
        got_output_end_time = {tv_sec = 1513807025, tv_nsec = 488460330}
        wait = INFINITY
        got_some_output = 2013
        now = {tv_sec = 0, tv_nsec = -1}
#11 0x00000000004e45ac in kbd_buffer_get_event (end_time=0x0, 
    used_mouse_menu=0x7ffd8c8436ab, kbp=<synthetic pointer>) at keyboard.c:3824
        do_display = <optimized out>
        obj = <optimized out>
#12 read_event_from_main_queue (used_mouse_menu=0x7ffd8c8436ab, 
    local_getcjmp=0x7ffd8c843330, end_time=0x0) at keyboard.c:2153
        c = 0
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---
        save_jump = {{__jmpbuf = {111984640, 1, 13254656, 13259048, 
              140726960924680, 139656238959409, 12125088, 139656238954565}, 
            __mask_was_saved = 1, __saved_mask = {__val = {0, 13254656, 
                6158928815773191936, 3, 13254656, 0, 0, 13254680, 5847931, 
                8194, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0}}}}
        kb = <optimized out>
#13 read_decoded_event_from_main_queue (used_mouse_menu=<optimized out>, 
    prev_event=<optimized out>, local_getcjmp=<optimized out>, 
    end_time=<optimized out>) at keyboard.c:2216
        terminal = <optimized out>
        events = {1, 22512, 0, 5859343, 44088325, 1, 6, 1, 28368, 5882400, 0, 
          0, 28368, 28368, 140726960928000, 140726960927632}
        n = 0
#14 read_char (commandflag=commandflag@entry=1, map=map@entry=54350483, 
    prev_event=0, used_mouse_menu=used_mouse_menu@entry=0x7ffd8c8436ab, 
    end_time=end_time@entry=0x0) at keyboard.c:2804
        c = <optimized out>
        jmpcount = 3
        local_getcjmp = {{__jmpbuf = {12146400, 7691748870007031619, 44088325, 
              13310208, 140726960928672, 54350483, -7690582675852490941, 
              7691750525119891267}, __mask_was_saved = 0, __saved_mask = {
              __val = {44088325, 1, 28368, 0, 0, 12189696, 26976, 
                140726960927952, 5536826, 140726960927744, 5536269, 0, 
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---
                4383341, 20815747, 5479950, 140726960927632}}}}
        save_jump = {{__jmpbuf = {111984640, 1, 13254656, 13259048, 
              140726960924680, 139656238959409, 12125088, 139656238954565}, 
            __mask_was_saved = 1, __saved_mask = {__val = {0, 13254656, 
                6158928815773191936, 3, 13254656, 0, 0, 28368, 5878859, 3, 
                140726960927944, 17117824, 1, 5403280, 5479094, 18685328}}}}
        tem = <optimized out>
        save = <optimized out>
        previous_echo_area_message = 0
        also_record = 0
        reread = false
        recorded = false
        polling_stopped_here = true
        orig_kboard = 0xcb1900
#15 0x00000000004e638d in read_key_sequence (
    keybuf=keybuf@entry=0x7ffd8c8437a0, prompt=prompt@entry=0, 
    dont_downcase_last=dont_downcase_last@entry=false, 
    can_return_switch_frame=can_return_switch_frame@entry=true, 
    fix_current_buffer=fix_current_buffer@entry=true, 
    prevent_redisplay=prevent_redisplay@entry=false, bufsize=30)
    at keyboard.c:9068
        interrupted_kboard = 0xcb1900
        interrupted_frame = 0x10eec30
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---
        key = <optimized out>
        used_mouse_menu = false
        echo_local_start = 0
        last_real_key_start = <optimized out>
        keys_local_start = <optimized out>
        new_binding = <optimized out>
        t = <optimized out>
        echo_start = 0
        keys_start = 0
        current_binding = 54350483
        first_event = 0
        first_unbound = 31
        mock_input = 0
        fkey = {parent = 16864899, map = 16864899, start = 0, end = 0}
        keytran = {parent = 12577347, map = 12577347, start = 0, end = 0}
        indec = {parent = 16864915, map = 16864915, start = 0, end = 0}
        shift_translated = false
        delayed_switch_frame = 0
        original_uppercase = 227
        original_uppercase_position = -1
        dummyflag = false
        fake_prefixed_keys = 0
#16 0x00000000004e7f34 in command_loop_1 () at keyboard.c:1370
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---
        cmd = <optimized out>
        keybuf = {98, 214, 194, 5597777, 0, 27312, 12243552, 72704963, 
          140726960928864, 0, 72704963, -1, -1, 5559508, 420992, 72704963, 
          8641764, 0, 140726960928864, 5105722, 140726960928864, 0, 0, 
          5106039, 17664, 6194144, 96, 5547969, 42585235, 0}
        i = <optimized out>
        prev_modiff = 227
        prev_buffer = 0x6c06000
#17 0x000000000054a302 in internal_condition_case (
    bfun=bfun@entry=0x4e7d20 <command_loop_1>, handlers=handlers@entry=17904, 
    hfun=hfun@entry=0x4de870 <cmd_error>) at eval.c:1315
        val = <optimized out>
        c = <optimized out>
#18 0x00000000004d9e54 in command_loop_2 (ignore=ignore@entry=0)
    at keyboard.c:1112
        val = 0
#19 0x000000000054a2a3 in internal_catch (tag=tag@entry=44736, 
    func=func@entry=0x4d9e30 <command_loop_2>, arg=arg@entry=0) at eval.c:1080
        val = <optimized out>
        c = <optimized out>
#20 0x00000000004d9e10 in command_loop () at keyboard.c:1091
No locals.
#21 0x00000000004de457 in recursive_edit_1 () at keyboard.c:697
---Type <return> to continue, or q <return> to quit---
        val = <optimized out>
#22 0x00000000004de7b8 in Frecursive_edit () at keyboard.c:768
        buffer = <optimized out>
#23 0x000000000040fc5f in main (argc=<optimized out>, argv=0x7ffd8c843b08)
    at emacs.c:1629
        dummy = 140726960929256
        stack_bottom_variable = -116 '\214'
        do_initial_setlocale = <optimized out>
        dumping = <optimized out>
        skip_args = 0
        rlim = {rlim_cur = 8720000, rlim_max = 18446744073709551615}
        no_loadup = false
        junk = 0x0
        dname_arg = 0x0
        ch_to_dir = 0x0
        original_pwd = <optimized out>
(gdb) xbacktrace
Undefined command: "xbacktrace".  Try "help".
(gdb) 

In GNU Emacs 25.3.3 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw scroll bars)
 of 2017-11-24 built on alto
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11902000
System Description:	Debian GNU/Linux 9.3 (stretch)

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND NOTIFY GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11

Important settings:
  value of $LC_TIME: C
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
No current message
No more undeleted messages
Processing deletes and refiles for +inbox...done
No current message
When done with a buffer, type C-x #
Mark saved where search started [2 times]
fetchmail: background fetchmail at 2473 awakened.
Scanning +inbox...done
No messages in +inbox, range (all)
When done with this frame, type C-x 5 0

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug ispell gnus-fun mh-limit wdired grep compile
mh-identity mh-letter mh-alias crm mh-thread shr-color color mh-funcs
mh-search dired-aux dired-x mh-mime mh-show goto-addr thingatpt misearch
multi-isearch skeleton sgml-mode calc-alg calc-ext calc-menu calc
calc-loaddefs calc-macs vc-hg diary-lib diary-loaddefs cal-move
org-element org-rmail org-mhe org-irc org-info org-gnus org-docview
doc-view jka-compr image-mode org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-w3m org
org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp
org-src ob-keys ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs mh-inc hl-line
mh-tool-bar mh-seq mh-folder which-func imenu shr seq dom subr-x
browse-url pp mh-xface mh-utils gnus-mh mh-comp mh-scan mh-gnus mh-acros
cl mh-e mh-compat mh-buffers mh-loaddefs sort gnus-cite flow-fill
mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg gnus-kill qp gnus-ml disp-table
mm-archive url-http url-gw url-cache url-auth url-handlers nnrss xml
mm-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history
url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars nndoc nndraft nnmh
network-stream nsm starttls gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig
mailcap nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start
gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls gnutls utf7 netrc nnoo
parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader
wid-edit mdk-mail smtpmail auth-source cl-seq eieio byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cl-extra cconv eieio-core cl-macs gv sendmail message dired
format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util help-fns help-mode mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils
gmm-utils mailheader server noutline outline easy-mmode cc-mode cc-fonts
cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs
shell pcomplete comint ansi-color ring xcscope easymenu advice delsel vc
cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib vc-dispatcher timeclock mdk-hacks time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote inotify dynamic-setting
font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 436498 59278)
 (symbols 48 48971 439)
 (miscs 40 1179 1618)
 (strings 32 107096 17586)
 (string-bytes 1 3380995)
 (vectors 16 49112)
 (vector-slots 8 1688850 220616)
 (floats 8 777 714)
 (intervals 56 13824 1147)
 (buffers 976 99))