Subject: bug#29839: 26.0; Bad xrefs in (elisp) `Sequence Functions'

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2017 19:58:49 +0200

> Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2017 09:30:20 -0800 (PST)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> 
> There are two links in node `Sequence Functions' that are labeled
> `Definition of nth'.  The context suggests that by following them you
> find information about `aref' and `nth'.  But they take you instead to
> node `Building Lists', which does not mention either `aref' or `nth' and
> does not seem to help with the origin context.

I cannot reproduce this: when I follow those 2 references, I land on
the definition of 'nth'.  I tried Emacs 26.0.90 and the current
release branch, and the Info files produced both for 26.0.90 and the
current branch.

Is it possible that the Info files you have installed have DOS CR-LF
EOLs?  (If they do, you will see it in the mode line, where the EOL
format indicator is shown.)  If so, they were produced incorrectly,
and to fix them, you need to convert them to Unix EOL format.

> This is a regression introduced in Emacs 24.  In Emacs 23 those links
> take you to the description of function `nth' in node `List Elements'.

Emacs was changed to adapt to how the latest Texinfo versions produce
Info files on MS-Windows.  Maybe your Info files were produced by an
old version of makeinfo, and that no longer fits what Emacs expects.