Subject: bug#29839: 26.0; Bad xrefs in (elisp) `Sequence Functions'

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 05:38:07 +0200

> Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2017 13:37:06 -0800 (PST)
> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> > How did you make sure all the versions of Emacs you tried displayed
> > the same elisp.info file?  Each Emacs version comes with its own
> > elisp.info, and you might also have elisp.info files from older
> > versions.
> 
> I have no idea if I "made sure" of that.  I did nothing, other
> than use `emacs -Q' then `C-h i', choose elisp, and `g Sequence
> Functions', then try to follow the links regarding Nth.
> 
> The info files for a given Emacs build are in the location
> predefined by the build - I don't move them.  E.g., for
> 25.3.1 they are here: Z:\Emacs-25.3.1\share\info.  The file
> `elisp.info' in that directory is no doubt what was provided
> with Emacs 25.3.1.  I don't add or subtract to whatever is
> in the `info' directory.

Which means that each version of Emacs you tried displayed a different
elisp.info file.  And that in turn means that you need to look at each
of those elisp.info files to see whether they have DOS EOL format
and/or were produced by the problematic versions of Texinfo mentioned
in the bugs whose numbers I cited a few messages back.  If you still
want to understand what happened to you with the previous versions o0f
Emacs, that is (from my POV if it doesn't happen in the current
release branch, there's no reason to look into this any longer).

> > With Emacs 24.5, it's expected that you will see the problem.  Your
> > question was how could that happen with later versions.  I think it
> > could only happen with later versions if you tried to display
> > elisp.info which was produced by old versions of makeinfo.
> 
> See above.  I didn't try to display anything special.
> `emacs -Q' took care of what was displayed, not I.

The issue is not what you did, the issue is what actually happened.
And again, you asked the question about my being able to explain what
happened to you with the other Emacs versions.  I'm just trying to
help you understand that.