Subject: Re: bug#29837: UTF-16 char display problems and the macOS "character palette"

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2017 21:34:37 +0200

> Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2017 19:28:07 +0000
> From: Alan Third <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> If I try to select utf-16 I get this
> 
>     set-keyboard-coding-system: Unsuitable coding system for keyboard: utf-16
> 
> and I used tab completion to find which other coding systems were
> available but all the ones beginning utf-16 that I tried return the
> same message.

Oh, I now recollect that Handa-san said at some point that keyboard
input doesn't support UTF-16...

How do other macOS programs read UTF-16 keyboard input?  Maybe you
could use the same way to read the sequences, and then decode them
internally as UTF-16 using coding.c facilities, and feed them into the
Emacs event queue?  Just a thought.