Subject: 25.2; ansi-term - more graceful error handling?

From: Live System User <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2017 01:26:50 -0500

Hi,

        I'm wondering if ansi-term could handle the following
        error more gracefully:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Invalid face" unspecified)
  internal-get-lisp-face-attribute(unspecified :foreground nil)
  face-attribute(unspecified :foreground nil default)
  face-foreground(unspecified nil default)
  term-handle-colors-array(1)
  term-handle-ansi-escape(#<process *ansi-term*> 109)
  term-emulate-terminal(#<process *ansi-term*>
  "[1;33mliveuser@localhost[0m:[1;32m~ [0m$ ")

        Currently, when this error ocurrs, ansi-term starts but
        doesn't display the command prompt nor can you interact
        with the ansi-term.

        You can "C-x k" (kill-buffer) and thus kill the
        ansi-term process.

        Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 25.2.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.20.10)
 of 2017-05-02 built on buildvm-17.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11803000
Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no --with-xwidgets --with-modules
 build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -grecord-gcc-switches
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES XWIDGETS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Messages

Minor modes in effect:
  gnus-desktop-notify-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
<mouse-6> is undefined
mwheel-scroll: Beginning of buffer
C-c C-g is undefined
Quit
Entering debugger...
Back to top level

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug misearch multi-isearch debug eieio-opt speedbar
sb-image ezimage dframe find-func pp thingatpt mailalias smtpmail
sendmail sort gnus-cite smiley ansi-color mail-extr gnus-bcklg qp
gnus-async gnus-ml disp-table cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh nndoc
mm-archive jka-compr timezone url-http url-gw url-cache url-auth
url-handlers utf-7 rfc2104 nnfolder nnagent nnml network-stream nsm
starttls gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg
gnus-cache gnus-demon nntp gnus-desktop-notify easy-mmode notifications
dbus xml epa-file epa derived nnreddit mm-url url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs url-vars json map
seq byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv gnus-art mm-uu mml2015
mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap cl gv sieve sieve-mode sieve-manage
nnir gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source tls gnutls utf7 netrc parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range message dired format-spec rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache
epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
gnus-ems wid-edit nnoo nnheader gnus-util mm-util help-fns help-mode
easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting xwidget-internal move-toolbar
gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 332199 63287)
 (symbols 48 126345 0)
 (miscs 40 279 753)
 (strings 32 109104 5999)
 (string-bytes 1 3861995)
 (vectors 16 28451)
 (vector-slots 8 943111 57984)
 (floats 8 423 1271)
 (intervals 56 7194 52)
 (buffers 976 51)
 (heap 1024 78143 29654))