Subject: bug#29824: closed (Meson 0.44.0 is broken with guix.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 16:15:02 +0000

Your bug report

#29824: Meson 0.44.0 is broken with guix.

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
29824: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=29824
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Meson 0.44.0 is broken with guix.
From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2020 17:14:44 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Meson 0.44.0 is long gone and 0.55 works fine:

  ~ λ guix environment --{ad-hoc,pure} meson -- meson --version
  0.55.1

Closing this fixed old bug,

T G-R

Subject: Meson 0.44.0 is broken with guix.
From: Fis Trivial <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2017 19:18:58 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I installed meson with command `guix package -i meson`

* Error:
$ meson --version

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File 
"/gnu/store/n53zdnl4l3gm9sg15bfwxp0wdrwrvhg4-meson-0.44.0/bin/.meson-real", 
line 17, in <module>
     from mesonbuild import mesonmain, mesonlib
   File 
"/gnu/store/n53zdnl4l3gm9sg15bfwxp0wdrwrvhg4-meson-0.44.0/lib/python3.5/site-packages/mesonbuild/mesonmain.py", 
line 18, in <module>
     from . import environment, interpreter, mesonlib
   File 
"/gnu/store/n53zdnl4l3gm9sg15bfwxp0wdrwrvhg4-meson-0.44.0/lib/python3.5/site-packages/mesonbuild/environment.py", 
line 17, in <module>
     from . import coredata
   File 
"/gnu/store/n53zdnl4l3gm9sg15bfwxp0wdrwrvhg4-meson-0.44.0/lib/python3.5/site-packages/mesonbuild/coredata.py", 
line 20, in <module>
     from .mesonlib import MesonException, commonpath
   File 
"/gnu/store/n53zdnl4l3gm9sg15bfwxp0wdrwrvhg4-meson-0.44.0/lib/python3.5/site-packages/mesonbuild/mesonlib.py", 
line 60, in <module>
     meson_command = python_command + [detect_meson_py_location()]
   File 
"/gnu/store/n53zdnl4l3gm9sg15bfwxp0wdrwrvhg4-meson-0.44.0/lib/python3.5/site-packages/mesonbuild/mesonlib.py", 
line 51, in detect_meson_py_location
     raise RuntimeError('Could not determine how to run Meson. Please 
file a bug with details.')
RuntimeError: Could not determine how to run Meson. Please file a bug 
with details.

I'm currently using Guix on top of Fedora 26. The installed version of 
meson is 0.44.0.

* Possible cause:
 From /mesonlib.py/: line 47~51, we have:
#+BEGIN_BLOCK python
     # The only thing remaining is to try to find the bundled executable and
     # pray distro packagers have not moved it.
     fname = os.path.join(os.path.dirname(__file__), '..', 'meson.py')
     if not os.path.exists(fname):
         raise RuntimeError('Could not determine how to run Meson. 
Please file a bug with details.')
#+END_BLOCK
which means meson will try to find the meson.py script at startup, but 
it seems Guix has renamed the this file with the new file name 
*.meson-real* and warp it with a shell script /meson/ in bin.