Subject: 27.0.50; electric-quote-replace-double misbehaves in Lisp strings

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2017 15:40:36 +0200

To reproduce:

  emacs -Q
  M-x electric-quote-mode RET
  M-x set-variable RET electric-quote-replace-double RET t RET

Type:

  "foo \"foo\""

You get this in the buffer:

  "foo \”foo\”"

I expected "foo \“foo\”" instead.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 56, i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2017-12-22 built on HOME-C4E4A596F7
Repository revision: b003171d27dfa4f0a5e6f8d9eb632b1930748e95
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...
Electric-Quote mode enabled
You can run the command ‘electric-quote-mode’ with M-x e-q-m RET
Electric-Quote mode enabled
Scanning for dabbrevs...done
user-error: No dynamic expansion for ‘Electric-quote-rep’ found
Scanning for dabbrevs...done
user-error: No dynamic expansion for ‘Electric-quote-replace-d’ found

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/d/usr --enable-checking=yes,glyphs --with-wide-int
 --with-modules --enable-check-lisp-object-type 'CFLAGS=-O0 -gdwarf-4
 -g3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS MODULES JSON LCMS2

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1255

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-quote-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr dabbrev emacsbug message rmc puny seq byte-opt gv
bytecomp byte-compile cconv dired dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cus-edit wid-edit thingatpt help-fns
radix-tree help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs cl-lib cus-start cus-load
elec-pair time-date mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table term/w32-win
w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 122305 12056)
 (symbols 56 22916 1)
 (miscs 48 43 120)
 (strings 16 35784 2142)
 (string-bytes 1 868306)
 (vectors 16 15963)
 (vector-slots 8 742591 12998)
 (floats 8 66 193)
 (intervals 40 317 128)
 (buffers 880 12))