Subject: Re: bug#29805: 27.0; doc of `tooltip-resize-echo-area'

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Oct 2021 10:48:00 -0700

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

>> This bug is not about whether or when there should or
>> should not be resizing.  It is about the doc, which
>> can (so far) give the impression that this resizing
>> affects this real estate even when a standalone frame
>> is involved - which it does not, AFAIK.
>
> Any such resizing is governed by the setting of `resize-mini-windows'
> and whether the echo area can be resized at all.  There are various
> reasons why the echo area can't be resized - for example, when the
> root window has fixed size, when the echo area occupies the only
> window on its frame or when the frame is too small.  Maybe there are
> more.  So the standalone frame case is just one among others.
>
> But this is just my POV of this matter.  As should be clear from my
> previous remarks in this thread, I apparently do not understand the
> use of the echo area for showing tooltips and neither the difference
> between echo area and minibuffer.  So I'll rather leave this for the
> inventor of `tooltip-resize-echo-area' to fix.

Eli, I guess that unnamed inventor is you.  Perhaps you could take a
look at the above and see what you think.

commit 9b3ce6252115980802adaa562af575bcd73a2c55
Author: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date:   Sat Oct 7 15:04:37 2017 +0300

    New defcustom 'tooltip-resize-echo-area'

    * lisp/tooltip.el (tooltip-resize-echo-area): New defcustom.
    (tooltip-show-help-non-mode): Use it to avoid truncating the
    tooltip text in the echo area.  (Bug#28724)

    * etc/NEWS: Mention 'tooltip-resize-echo-area'.