Subject: Re: bug#29805: 27.0; doc of `tooltip-resize-echo-area'

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Dec 2017 09:33:48 +0100

>> So the question to be
 >> answered first is: Do we ever want to fit stand-alone minibuffer
 >> frames to their buffers?
 >
 > Please don't bother for me, anyway. ;-)

If we don't want to, the entire remainder of this discussion is moot.

 > The bug report was really to suggest that such doc about
 > resizing the space for the minibuffer / echo area should
 > not lead people to believe that such resizing resizes a
 > frame.  It applies only to a window in a frame that is
 > not minibuffer-only (AFAICT), so that should be made clear.

Resizing the echo area when showing a tooltip is just a special case
of resizing the minibuffer window so any reasonable discussion of the
former would have to start with the latter.

 >> But the first question that comes to my mind is why we now have the
 >> option `tooltip-resize-echo-area' which, according to its doc-string
 >> "has effect only on GUI frames" while in Emacs 24.1 we have declared
 >> `tooltip-use-echo-area' obsolete and suggested to disable tooltips
 >> instead.
 >
 > 1. No idea why we now have it.
 > 2. The doc string is wrong to refer to `tooltip-use-echo-area'.

Which doc string does (2)?

 >> Resolved that, we should probably then also say that
 >> `tooltip-resize-echo-area' has effect iff `resize-mini-windows' is
 >> non-nil.
 >
 > And why isn't `resize-mini-windows' enough?  Is this about
 > resizing ONLY the echo area and not the minibuffer?  (Does
 > that even make sense?)
 >
 > It's all unclear to me.

To me too.  I have no idea why we (or at least an Emacs user) should
ever have to distinguish betweeen echo area and minibuffer.  There's
no practical need for that.

martin