Subject: Re: 27.0; Unclear NEWS item: pointer instead of integer

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2018 09:48:59 +0000

Thanks, I installed the attached, which I hope is clear enough now, and am 
boldly closing the bug report.
>From 973d10a34b23f2ce5acc00a90ec9767e6237fefa Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2018 01:44:58 -0800
Subject: [PATCH] * etc/NEWS: Improve -fcheck-pointer-bounds wording.

---
 etc/NEWS | 5 +++--
 1 file changed, 3 insertions(+), 2 deletions(-)

diff --git a/etc/NEWS b/etc/NEWS
index dd907ab..3ba95c1 100644
--- a/etc/NEWS
+++ b/etc/NEWS
@@ -38,8 +38,9 @@ interpreter or modules that it uses.  If your platform supports it you
 can enable it when configuring, e.g., './configure CFLAGS="-g3 -O2
 -mmpx -fcheck-pointer-bounds"' on Intel MPX platforms.
 
-** Emacs now normally uses a pointer type instead of an integer type
-for the fundamental word in the Emacs Lisp interpreter, to help
+** Emacs now normally uses a C pointer type instead of a C integer
+type to implement Lisp_Object, which is the fundamental machine word
+type internal to the Emacs Lisp interpreter.  This change aims to
 catch typos and support -fcheck-pointer-bounds.  The 'configure'
 option --enable-check-lisp-object-type is therefore no longer as
 useful and so is no longer enabled by default in developer builds,
-- 
2.7.4