Subject: bug#2975: texinfo-master-menu and emacs.texi

From: Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 20:06:45 +0100

On Thu, 08 Dec 2011 19:52:17 +0100
Roland Winkler wrote:

> On Thu Dec 8 2011 Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> The simplest fix would be to remove the updating of the @node lines.
>> Would anyone object?  Karl?
>
> A TeXnical question: what about using TeX to generate the output? 
> To the best of my knowledge makinfo doesn't care about @node lines
> being up to date or not, it can fix them itself. Does the same hold
> for TeX?

Unless I'm missing something, you already got an answer to this question
in Eli's first reply in this thread:

---
[Roland]
> Of course, I believe that makeinfo can add the info about the node
> pointers. But what about output formats not supported by makeinfo?
> I believe that something like TeX needs them.

[Eli]
TeX doesn't need them.  These pointers are there to allow traversing
the on-line manual, and are not needed for non on-line versions.
---

(Personally I found Eli's explanation confusing -- what does "on-line"
mean here? If it means HTML, makeinfo does support HTML output -- does
it mean it doesn't cope with missing node pointers in the HTML case? If
it means the standard Info manuals, then that's the principal format
supported, isn't it...)

-- 
Štěpán