Subject: Re: bug#2975: texinfo-master-menu and emacs.texi

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 09:46:49 -0500

Karl writes:
> Perhaps the description of texinfo-mode would be better off in the Emacs
> manual, instead of the Texinfo manual.  (Since it is not maintained as
> part of Texinfo.)  I'd be fine with that.  Whatever you want to do.

Sounds like a good idea, yes.

Eli writes:
> The simplest fix would be to remove the updating of the @node lines.
> Would anyone object?  Karl?

That would be great.

Eli writes:
> I guess I'm saying that the importance of these commands in the
> context of maintaining Emacs documentation is somewhat exaggerated in
> this thread, to say the least ;-)

IIUC the OP is not directly interested in maintaining Emacs
documentation but rather is trying to write a manual for another project
(BBDB, which happens to be an Emacs package).

Eli writes:
> Here's what I see there:
>  . texinfo-master-menu indeed does not support multiple-file manuals,
>    so it removed all the menu items whose nodes are in files other
>    than emacs.texi itself

A good fix here would be for texinfo-master-menu to detect the problem
and signal a warning/error.

>  . texinfo-master-menu doesn't grok @iftex and @ifnottext conditionals
>    (and probably the other @if... conditionals as well), so it
>    produced bad Next and Prev pointers, because, e.g., this:

If leaving Node pointers alone fixes this problem, then there's nothing
else to do, but otherwise texinfo-master-menu should try and detect
these problematic cases and signal an error/warning.

        Stefan