Subject: bug#2975: texinfo-master-menu and emacs.texi

From: Štěpán Němec <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 11:38:01 +0100

On Thu, 08 Dec 2011 07:17:40 +0100
Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> > Maybe the better course here is to deprecate it, seeing how noone seems
>> > interested in fixing it (if it can be fixed).
>
> Define "fixed".  Which of the current misfeatures are urgent to fix?

I'd say the fact that OT1H `texinfo-master-menu' is recommended as "the
primary command" in the Texinfo manual (info "(texinfo)Updating Commands"),
and OTOH it (sometimes?) breaks things, is a rather urgent-to-be-fixed
misfeature. I've had this problem in the past, too, and had no idea
what's going on until this came up now.

I think it's very important that there is a clear recipe for maintaining
Texinfo documentation which people not interested in the details or
implementation of Texinfo (== the vast majority of Texinfo writers) can
easily find and go by.

-- 
Štěpán