Subject: Re: texinfo-master-menu and emacs.texi

From: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 15:19:59 -0600

On Wed Dec 7 2011 Stefan Monnier wrote:
> I'm pretty sure texinfo-master-menu is not used for that, indeed.
> I think "update all menus" is the more common helper command.
> 
> IIRC it also suffered from problems where it adds data to "Node"s which
> should better not be added at all, so makeinfo can auto-fill it for you
> (and makeinfo actually complains about what texinfo-master-menu puts
> there).

I am not sure I understand what you say about nodes. I started this
thread because

> The texinfo manual says about "Updating Nodes and Menus"
> 
>   If you do not use the updating commands, you need to write menus
>   and node pointers by hand, which is a tedious task.

Is there any emacs command that can help reliably for updating the nodes?
(Nodes appear to get screwed up by texinfo-master-menu.)

Of course, I believe that makeinfo can add the info about the node
pointers. But what about output formats not supported by makeinfo?
I believe that something like TeX needs them.

> Maybe the better course here is to deprecate it, seeing how noone seems
> interested in fixing it (if it can be fixed).

This would certainly help at least somewhat to clarify the
situation.

Roland