Subject: Re: [bug#29738] Add support for HTTP/2 to curl

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2017 07:31:52 +0100

Hi Mark,

> this patch adds HTTP/2 support to curl, this is a prerequisite to
> closing bug#29733. I am aware that this will trigger about 2500 rebuilt
> packages, but having HTTP/2 in curl seems to be worth the hassle.

We would make this change on the core-updates branch to avoid disrupting
the availability of substitutes, so rebuilding a large number of
packages is not a big problem.  Does this patch apply on top of
core-updates?

About the patch: it would be better to separate the two changes.  One
commit would add the nghttp2 package, the other would modify the curl
package.  Could you please split the patch?

Since curl is used by a great number of packages we need to pay
attention to the size of the closure.  How does adding nghttp2 to curl
affect the size of the closure of the curl package?  (You can check with
“guix size”.)

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net