Subject: Re: bug#29726: 25.1; SIGSEGV in find-file

From: Marc Munro <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2017 12:31:00 -0800

On Sat, 2017-12-16 at 22:07 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> I still don't get the completion frame, only the above-mentioned
> debug
> message.

Rats.

> Can you point me to the part of your code which causes the
> completions
> to appear in a separate frame?

Yep, it's in k-frame.el

k-frame::display-buffer-actor is the controller for this.  It is set up
to take control from display-buffer by setting:
  display-buffer-overriding-action

Its job is to find the best window for displaying a buffer, mostly
without splitting windows.  When it displays a buffer it highlights the
window and allows the user to choose an alternative window if they
don't like it (through F5).  That's the theory anyway.

The first (unless... in that function is a, disabled, hack that enables
a work-around for the crash by treating completions buffers as special
and doing nothing.  The hack is currently disabled by the (and nil
....) expression.

If you want to chat, I'm on XMPP: [email-masked]/Home or IRC: 

[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]

I'm going to see if I can reproduce this on another system.

__
Marc