Subject: Re: bug#29726: 25.1; SIGSEGV in find-file

From: Marc Munro <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2017 11:43:08 -0800

On Sat, 2017-12-16 at 11:35 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > I cannot reproduce the crash, but this could be because the above
> recipe or the files you sent are incomplete.  First, I've found that
> one needs to set HOME to the directory created by unpacking the
> archive you sent, because your .emacs file is there.  One also needs
> to modify the load-path settings in your .emacs to be consistent with
> where the files were unpacked.  Then one needs to install tabbar-
> mode,

Hmmm.  You are right.  There is some magic at play in my environment
that I wasn't aware of.  I have now simplified the setup and can still
reproduce the crash.

> [. . .]
> doesn't pop up a completions frame, but instead shows this in the
> mininbufer:
> 
>   DISPLAY BUFFER ACTOR *Backtrace* nil

Yep.  That's a debug message from my code.

> Maybe some other file/package is missing?  And what version of
> tabbar-mode do you have, downloaded from where?

It is this:
-----------------
;; Author: David Ponce <[email-masked]>
;; Maintainer: David Ponce <[email-masked]>
;; Created: 25 February 2003
;; Keywords: convenience
;; Revision: $Id: tabbar.el,v 1.2 2007-08-08 22:24:29 psg Exp $
---------------

I'm not sure where I got it from.  Apparently not a debian package. 
Sorry, I'd forgotten downloading it.

> Would it be possible for you to prepare a clean archive with only the
> files that are required, or, better, an explicit recipe starting from
> "emacs -Q"?  Doing that will ensure this bug is identified and fixed
> much faster.  If that's not something you can afford, please at least
> provide an archive with all the required files and settings.

Done.  I've copied all of the necessary files, including tabbar.el into
a new directory "~marc/emacs-crash", simplified my .emacs and moved it
into that directory.  Here is the, slightly amended, recipe:

$ cd ~/emacs-crash
$ emacs -Q -l .emacs
C-x C-f k/k-<TAB> (completion frame appears)
[navigate back to minibuffer]
s<TAB>e<TAB> (kaboom!) (there will still be messages in the echo area)

Thanks for getting back to me.

__
Marc