Subject: bug#29723: 25.3; `compile' doesn't honor `tramp-methods', always uses "/bin/sh"

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 13:53:11 +0100

Robert Pluim <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Robert,

>> It is on my todo list, but less prioritized. I would be happy if
>> somebody else takes the ball, and implements this in `compilation-start'.
>
> You mean this is going to be changed to enable the use of connection
> local variables, or it's already possible to do so?

The former. See for example `shell', where this has been done. Due to
this, you could set `explicit-shell-file-name' for different remote
connections.

However, meanwhile I believe we shouldn't implement it in every single
package which might profit from this. A better approach might be to call
it in `hack-local-variables'. Connection local variables would be
enabled then by every `run-mode-hooks' call, i.e., when a buffer
determines its major mode. Like directory local variables.

> Robert

Best regards, Michael.