Subject: Re: bug#29709: 25.3; diff-buffer-with-file arguments reversed

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2019 01:39:27 +0200

tags 29709 + wontfix
close 29709
quit

Dan Harms <[email-masked]> writes:

> Every time I use the function, I end up having to reverse the direction after calling the function.  But that’s OK, if other people think the default makes sense.
>
> On Dec 14, 2017, at 11:49 AM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>>> From: Dan Harms <[email-masked]>
>>> Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 06:01:43 -0600
>>>
>>> When I execute (diff-buffer-with-file <buffer>), the file on disk is
>>> used as the first argument, the working buffer as the second.  This
>>> leads to a diff-mode buffer with the base-line (the left-hand side) as
>>> the file on disk, not my current buffer.  I would think this is opposite
>>> of what should be the default.  Wouldn't we more often want to view the
>>> buffer's current state as the baseline, and view what changes would be
>>> required to transform this buffer into the file on disk?
>>
>> I think the idea is that the file on disk is the original version and
>> the text in your buffer is the modified (a.k.a. "new") version.

The conclusion here is that we want to keep the current behaviour.  I'm
therefore closing this as wontfix.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas