Subject: bug#29707: closed (Re: bug#29707: "guix system search" doesn't show how to start/stop service)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 12:54:02 +0000

Your bug report

#29707: "guix system search" doesn't show how to start/stop service

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
29707: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=29707
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#29707: "guix system search" doesn't show how to start/stop service
From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
To: Clément Lassieur <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2018 14:53:21 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Clément,

Clément Lassieur <[email-masked]> skribis:

> The "guix system search" command doesn't show how we are supposed to
> start/stop the searched service.
>
> For example, I think it would be useful to know that "herd stop
> xmpp-daemon" stops the XMPP server and "herd stop xorg-server" stops the
> Xorg server.
>
> Neither "guix system search xorg" nor "guix system search slim" says
> anything about "xorg-server".

Commit 6ac8b7359a1ac80e558f41dd37004ffa727dd3c6 does roughly what you
suggested:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ ./pre-inst-env guix system search slim
name: slim
location: gnu/services/xorg.scm:510:2
extends: shepherd-root pam profile
shepherdnames: xorg-server
relevance: 3
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Note that there are limitations: here ‘shepherdnames’ is just the list
of names of the _default_ Shepherd services for that service type.  But
due to the way service extensions work, actual Shepherd service names
can very well depend on the configuration of the service.  For example,
‘console-font-service-type’ generates a Shepherd service whose name
depends on its configuration: ‘console-font-tty1’, etc.

Besides, ‘guix system search xmpp’ currently returns nothing, but it
will return something as soon as you’ve added a ‘description’ to
‘prosody-service-type’.  If you add a ‘default-value’, you’ll get
‘shepherdnames’ as well.  Hint hint.  ;-)

Cheers,
Ludo’.

Subject: "guix system search" doesn't show how to start/stop service
From: Clément Lassieur <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 11:30:14 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The "guix system search" command doesn't show how we are supposed to
start/stop the searched service.

For example, I think it would be useful to know that "herd stop
xmpp-daemon" stops the XMPP server and "herd stop xorg-server" stops the
Xorg server.

Neither "guix system search xorg" nor "guix system search slim" says
anything about "xorg-server".