Subject: Re: bug#29700: Java packages need to retain references

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 08:49:40 +0100

Hi Gábor,

> If we later decide that compression is desired we can still go with a text
> file with references.

This wouldn’t always be feasible, because it would require *manual*
reference tracking.  The packager would need to know what references
need to be retained and then ensure that they are part of that text
file.

> Anyway, do you think that extending the reference scanner would be a good
> idea?

We had the same problem with gzipped R files and zipped Python things.
For the R files a more advanced reference scanner would not work,
because the files just include a gzipped section; it’s not the whole
file that’s simply gzipped.  Detecting sections is too hard.

But for Python and Jars it might just be enough.

[PS: please don’t top-post.]

--
Ricardo

GPG: BCA6 89B6 3655 3801 C3C6  2150 197A 5888 235F ACAC
https://elephly.net