Subject: 24.5; find-grep not finding a file or missing the grep

From: Donald H Locker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 15:36:54 -0500

The particular bug is not easy to reproduce (yet) and I don't have an
example I can actually send.

`M-x find-grep` (aka `grep-find`), then:

     find . -type f -name '*-2017-12-12_09.22.57.log' -exec grep -nHE 
'ERROR:' {} \;

finds a number of ERROR: lines in various `.log` files at various depths 
in the directory hierarchy where I am working.

One particular file with an 'ERROR:'

     ./PFF/PFF/PFF.bat-2017-12-12_09.22.57.log

is not found unless I change down a directory level, starting in 
`./PFF`, or unless the parent directory name is [at least] one character 
longer or shorter (but see below.) e.g. the ERROR: line is found in

     ./PFF/PFFm/PFF.bat-2017-12-12_09.22.57.log

or in

     ./PFF/PFF-/PFF.bat-2017-12-12_09.22.57.log

but never in

     ./PFF/PFF/PFF.bat-2017-12-12_09.22.57.log

whether the original `./PFF/PFF` directory is renamed or copied to a 
[longer-named] parent (when copied, I have both `./PFF/PFF` and 
`./PFF/PFFx` directories.)

Then it gets weird - if I have a copy of the `./PFF/PFF` directory named 
`./PFF/PF` or `./PFF/P`, the `ERROR:` lines in both copies of the `.log` 
file are found (one in each of the directories;) if the duplicate 
directory is named with three or more characters (e.g. `./PFF/PFM`) the 
original `./PFF/PFF` log file is not found (or grepped; not sure yet 
which.) Simply creating a `./PFF/PF` directory does not work; it has to 
be populated with [at least some] of the same files found in `./PFF/PFF`

It might be worth mentioning that the `./PFF` directory does have two 
other subdirs in addition to `./PFF/PFF` (`./PFF/PFF_FILE_HANDLING` and 
`./PFF/PFF_CAPTURE_FF`) so it doesn't appear that the problem is that 
`./PFF/PFF` is all alone.

     find . -type f -name '*-2017-12-12_09.22.57.log' -exec grep -nHE 
'ERROR:' {} \;

at the command line works as expected.

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
  of 2015-04-11 on LEG570
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
  `configure --prefix=/c/usr --host=i686-pc-mingw32'

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: ENU
   locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Dired by date

Minor modes in effect:
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   cscope-minor-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   savehist-mode: t
   desktop-save-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   buffer-read-only: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Wrote 
c:/workingSVN/cr17935-dolly-port-1/testing/VectorCAST/openecu-unit-test/environment/PFF/PFF/PFF.bat
Directory has changed on disk; type g to update Dired
Mark saved where search started
Mark set
Deleting...done
Mark saved where search started
Mark set
Mark saved where search started
Making completion list... [6 times]
Note: file is write protected

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils find-dired misearch multi-isearch pp apropos
cus-edit wid-edit dired-aux help-mode shell pcomplete csharp-mode js
advice byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra cconv imenu thingatpt
arc-mode archive-mode nroff-mode ruler-mode mule-util hl-line hexl eldoc
help-fns vc-git python json make-mode cperl-mode info nxml-uchnm rng-xsd
xsd-regexp rng-cmpct rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse
nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode
nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util nxml-glyph nxml-enc xmltok cc-langs
cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs conf-mode bat-mode vc-hg sh-script smie executable
sgml-mode vc-dispatcher vc-svn dired xcscope easymenu saveplace edmacro
kmacro paren savehist grep compile comint ansi-color ring desktop
frameset cl-loaddefs cl-lib cus-start cus-load time-date tooltip
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32
ls-lisp w32-common-fns disp-table w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode
register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse
jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
w32notify w32 multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 897528 60889)
  (symbols 32 32816 0)
  (miscs 32 22333 927)
  (strings 16 76656 18285)
  (string-bytes 1 2399020)
  (vectors 8 34189)
  (vector-slots 4 1012343 26868)
  (floats 8 734 707)
  (intervals 28 141955 4946)
  (buffers 508 605))

-- 
*Plain Text* email -- it's an accessibility issue
() no proprietary attachments; no html mail
/\ <http://www.georgedillon.com/web/html_email_is_evil.shtml>