Subject: Re: bug#29680: another grep-find anomalous behaviour

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 18:49:02 +0200

> From: Donald H Locker <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 15 Dec 2017 07:25:33 -0500
> 
> -*- mode: grep; default-directory: 
> "c:/workingSVN/2017-08-21-xxxxx-v2g-test-model/Model_withEVSE/" -*-
> Grep started at Fri Dec 15 07:12:23
> 
> find . -type f -name '*.log' -exec grep -nHE 'CurrentDemand' {} \;
> /usr/bin/find: paths must precede expression
> Usage: /usr/bin/find [path...] [expression]
> 
> Grep exited abnormally with code 1 at Fri Dec 15 07:12:23

Do you have the sub-shell customized to invoke a Unixy shell or
something?  Windows shells don't support quoting 'like this', so you
need to use "*.log" instead.  And, depending on which port of GNU
Findutils you have installed, even "*.log" could get expanded, even
though it's quoted, because Windows Vista changed its interpretation
of quoting wrt previous versions of Windows.

Also, I wonder how come Emacs doesn't propose to the the command with
"+" as it did for me.

FWIW, your command (with a different search string) works for me, but
it isn't surprising, since in your case it sometimes works and
sometimes doesn't.

> GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)

Emacs 24 is quite old.  Could you try the latest pretest of Emacs 26,
please?