Subject: bug#29675: databases should be created with chattr +C

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 14:12:39 +0100

Hello,

Danny Milosavljevic <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 13:46:08 +0200
> Efraim Flashner <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
>> We support running GuixSD on top of btrfs, and the prevailing wisdom is
>> to mark databases (sqlite, postgresql, etc.) as 'chattr +C', that is, as
>> not copy-on-write. It is honored under ext4, but it shouldn't cause any
>> changes.
>
> It sounds reasonable to do that - but I don't think that relational databases are managed by the Guix store.  Rather they are in /var or in the home directory.  Long story short, it would make sense for Postgres and Sqlite upstream to do the chattr +C, if they don't already do it.

I agree.

Efraim, unless we have a specific example, I’m inclined to close it as
“not-a-bug”, with the understanding that it’s an upstream issue rather
than something GuixSD-specific.

How does that sound?

Ludo’.