Subject: Re: bug#29669: repl-print - requet for iprovement

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2018 18:26:37 +0200

Hello,

David Pirotte <[email-masked]> skribis:

> From d920d22efe3e77d23004122e21cec420c402f531 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
> From: David Pirotte <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 21:28:24 -0200
> Subject: [PATCH] Updating repl-print to use truncated-print
>
> * module/system/repl/common.scm (repl-print): Use (truncated-print val),
>   not (write val).  With this update, repl-print becomes 'friendly' wrt
>   large (huge) lists, arrays, srfi-4 butevoectors ...

Note that it’s already possible to do this:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
scheme@(guile-user)> ,use (ice-9 pretty-print)
scheme@(guile-user)> ,o print (lambda (repl obj) (truncated-print obj) (newline))
scheme@(guile-user)> (iota 500)
$20 = (0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 # …)
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

So the question becomes: should we change the default?

I have a slight preference for keeping the default as it is to avoid
surprises, but no strong opinion.

Andy, Mark, others, WDYT?

Ludo’.