Subject: bug#29664: 26.0.90; Auto Hscroll Mode + Visual Line Mode + Truncate don't work well together

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 Sep 2021 08:41:05 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> > It is a problem, but I don't know what to do about that except saying
>> > "don't do that".
>> 
>> So maybe some change in the docs is in order?

Mentioning this in the `truncate-lines' doc would be fine...

> Alternatively, we could use add-variable-watcher to disable
> visual-line-mode when one of these variables is set, similarly with
> what we do to force redisplay of a buffer when some variables are
> modified (see the end of frame.el).

... but this seems like overkill to me.  I don't think anybody would
actually imagine that these two things could be mixed -- the original
bug report was just about somebody who had both thing set accidentally,
and then wondering what's going on.  (And the change to
toggle-truncate-lines I pushed should make that accident less likely to
occur.)

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no