Subject: bug#29641: libparted-3.2: bug: The information sector has the wrong signature (0).

From: Andreas Abel <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 22:45:03 +0100

Hi Phil,

thanks for looking into this.

I am on ubuntu 16.04 LTS.  I was not using the LiveCD, just the gparted 
as available via apt.

I attach the .htm report of GParted when it crashed (it says "Libparted 
3.2").
NB: I got the same errors when running fatresize.

How do I find out the exact version of libparted?

According to the changelog files installed in my system (see below), I 
have two versions

- parted (2.3-19ubuntu1.14.04.1)            (Patch 23 Jul 2015)
- parted (3.2-15) unstable; urgency=medium  (Patch 10 Feb 2016)

Can you find the information you need below?  If not let me know.

Cheers,
Andreas

On 11.12.2017 20:53, Phil Susi wrote:
> On 12/10/2017 4:50 AM, Andreas Abel wrote:
>> Hello parted team,
>>
>> gparted has asked me to send a bug report.  I attach a screen shot and
>> also here is the console output.
> 
> Exactly what version of libparted were you using, and where was it
> obtained from?  I believe there were some fatfs bugs that have been
> fixed since 3.2 was released, and backported into debian/ubuntu/the
> gparted livecd, but if you got it from another source that may be missing.

$ uname -a
Linux agda2 4.4.0-103-generic #126-Ubuntu SMP Mon Dec 4 16:23:28 UTC 
2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

===========================================================

$ apt list gparted
Listing... Done
gparted/xenial,now 0.25.0-1 amd64 [installed]

$ apt list parted
Listing... Done
parted/xenial,now 3.2-15 amd64 [installed,automatic]

$ apt list fatresize
Listing... Done
fatresize/xenial,now 1.0.2-9 amd64 [installed]

===========================================================

$ fatresize -v
fatresize 1.0.2 (01/27/16)

===========================================================

$ locate libparted
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted-fs-resize.so.0
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted-fs-resize.so.0.0.1
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.0
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.0.0.1
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.2
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libparted.so.2.0.1
/usr/share/doc/libparted-fs-resize0
/usr/share/doc/libparted0debian1
/usr/share/doc/libparted2
/usr/share/doc/libparted-fs-resize0/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/libparted-fs-resize0/copyright
/usr/share/doc/libparted0debian1/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/libparted0debian1/copyright
/usr/share/doc/libparted2/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/libparted2/copyright
/usr/share/lintian/overrides/libparted0debian1
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libparted-fs-resize0:amd64.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libparted-fs-resize0:amd64.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libparted-fs-resize0:amd64.shlibs
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libparted-fs-resize0:amd64.symbols
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libparted-fs-resize0:amd64.triggers
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libparted0debian1:amd64.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libparted0debian1:amd64.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libparted0debian1:amd64.postinst
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libparted0debian1:amd64.postrm
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libparted0debian1:amd64.shlibs
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libparted2:amd64.list
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libparted2:amd64.md5sums
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libparted2:amd64.shlibs
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libparted2:amd64.symbols
/var/lib/dpkg/info/libparted2:amd64.triggers

===========================================================

HERE IS THE HEAD OF

   /usr/share/doc/libparted-fs-resize0/changelog.Debian.gz

parted (3.2-15) unstable; urgency=medium

   * Cherry-pick upstream patch to check DASD geometry more carefully to
     avoid problems with LVM (closes: #814076, LP: #1541510).

  -- Colin Watson <[email-masked]>  Wed, 10 Feb 2016 14:26:23 +0000

parted (3.2-14) unstable; urgency=medium

   * Use HTTPS for Vcs-* URLs, and link to cgit rather than gitweb.
   * Build with all hardening options.

  -- Colin Watson <[email-masked]>  Wed, 27 Jan 2016 13:24:01 +0000

===========================================================

HERE IS THE HEAD OF
   /usr/share/doc/libparted2/changelog.Debian.gz
AND
   /usr/share/doc/libparted0debian1/changelog.Debian.gz

parted (2.3-19ubuntu1.14.04.1) trusty; urgency=medium

   * debian/patches/dm-512b-sectors.patch: properly support 4k disks.
     (LP: #1441930)

  -- Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre <[email-masked]>  Thu, 23 Jul 2015 
12:12:21 -0400

parted (2.3-19ubuntu1) trusty; urgency=medium

   * Upload from Debian git repository to fix a release-critical bug.
   * Fix crash when opening FAT file systems (LP: #1306704).

  -- Colin Watson <[email-masked]>  Mon, 14 Apr 2014 11:56:10 +0100

parted (2.3-19) unstable; urgency=medium

   [ Phillip Susi ]
   * fat-ntfs-large-sectors.patch: Fix fat and ntfs detection on non 512 
byte
     sectors (closes: #743816, LP: #1302762).

  -- Colin Watson <[email-masked]>  Tue, 08 Apr 2014 12:55:59 +0100

parted (2.3-18) unstable; urgency=medium

   * Fix LVM handling regressions caused by fix-loop-labels.patch
     (LP: #1300072):
     - Initialise dev->loop in ped_disk_new_fresh rather than ped_disk_new.
     - Temporarily set disk->dev->loop to 0 while removing partitions, so
       that we can remove previously-existing non-loop partitions (thanks,
       Phillip Susi).

  -- Colin Watson <[email-masked]>  Wed, 02 Apr 2014 00:01:13 +0100

parted (2.3-17) unstable; urgency=low

   [ Phillip Susi ]
   * avoid-disturbing-partitions.patch: remove all old partitions (that are
     not unchanged) first, then add new ones.  This avoids an EBUSY 
trying to
     add new partitions that overlap with old ones that have a higher number
     (closes: #742847, LP: #1220165).
   * fix-loop-labels.patch: Fix loop labels (filesystem on whole disk
     device).

===========================================================

-- 
Andreas Abel  <><      Du bist der geliebte Mensch.

Department of Computer Science and Engineering
Chalmers and Gothenburg University, Sweden

[email-masked]
http://www.cse.chalmers.se/~abela/