Subject: Re: bug#29638: Same five tests fail with 1.15 on RHEL 7.4

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2018 09:12:03 -0600

On 01/04/2018 09:08 PM, Mathieu Lirzin wrote:
>> If I understand GNU Coding Standards, we really do want to make sure
>> unambiguous abbreviations of long options work.  
> 
> I am unaware of such GCS recommandation.  Do you have a pointer to the
> part of the standards suggesting that?

Hmm. I just re-read
https://www.gnu.org/prep/standards/standards.html#Command_002dLine-Interfaces,
and all I can see is that it recommends:

"Please define long-named options that are equivalent to the
single-letter Unix-style options. We hope to make GNU more user friendly
this way. This is easy to do with the GNU function getopt_long."

and then I extrapolated that since getopt_long() recognizes unambiguous
abbreviations, anything else used instead of getopt_long() should do
likewise.  But you're right that it does not seem to be an explicit
requirement, so much as an ease-of-use and consistency issue.

-- 
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266
Virtualization:  qemu.org | libvirt.org