Subject: [bug#29625] [PATCH core-updates] Vulkan patch series.

From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2017 13:16:39 +0100

Rutger Helling <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hey Marius,
>
> Thanks a lot for improving and fixing the patches!
>
> Regarding your questions; when I tried to build the Vulkan drivers on 
> Mesa on i686 it failed to build.
> I figured it was better to just leave it at x86_86 for now. In a future 
> core-updates cycle it might be a good idea to start looking into other 
> architectures.
>
> Retroarch won't be affected if your hardware doesn't support Vulkan, it 
> defaults to OpenGL anyway. It's just a setting you can modify 
> (video_driver).

OK, thanks for confirming.

> I also had an unrelated question. I saw that you updated Mesa to 17.2.7. 
> I'm running 17.3.0 myself right now.
> Is it customary in Guix to wait for the first point release, or do you 
> want me to send in a patch?
> It really only consists of updating the version, checksum and adding a 
> native-input python2-mako.

The Mesa release notes[0] has this blurb when the minor version changes:

Mesa 17.3.0 is a new development release. People who are concerned with
stability and reliability should stick with a previous release or wait
for Mesa 17.3.1.

Since we will be "stuck" on this Mesa version for some time, I prefer
sticking to the stable branches.  17.2.7 is also newer than 17.3.0 :-)

[0] https://www.mesa3d.org/relnotes/17.3.0.html