Subject: Re: [bug#29624] EasyTAG

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 16:49:23 +0100

Hello Pierre,

Pierre Langlois <[email-masked]> skribis:

> EasyTAG depends on the libid3tag library and tries to find it using
> pkg-config. I thought it'd be a good idea for the library to provide a
> .pc file instead of manually telling EasyTAG where it is. It allows
> cleaning up dependent packages a little, namely audacity and gmtp, what
> do you think?

I think it’s a good patch for upstream, but not for distros.  As I see
it, the risk is that people hacking on Guix would come to rely on the
availability of a .pc file, and that code will break on other distros.
Likewise, the build process of other packages is subtly affected.

So I’m reluctant to making such changes in Guix proper, but I do agree
that it’s a good idea for upstream to adopt.

WDYT?

Does the EasyTag patch need to be adjusted?  (I wanted to test but
there’s currently no webkit-gtk substitute so…)

Thanks,
Ludo’.