Subject: Re: [bug#29624] EasyTAG

From: Pierre Langlois <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2017 22:37:57 +0000

Hi Ludovic,

Thanks for taking a look!

Ludovic Courtès writes:

> Hello Pierre,
>
> Pierre Langlois <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> EasyTAG depends on the libid3tag library and tries to find it using
>> pkg-config. I thought it'd be a good idea for the library to provide a
>> .pc file instead of manually telling EasyTAG where it is. It allows
>> cleaning up dependent packages a little, namely audacity and gmtp, what
>> do you think?
>
> I think it’s a good patch for upstream, but not for distros.  As I see
> it, the risk is that people hacking on Guix would come to rely on the
> availability of a .pc file, and that code will break on other distros.
> Likewise, the build process of other packages is subtly affected.
>
> So I’m reluctant to making such changes in Guix proper, but I do agree
> that it’s a good idea for upstream to adopt.
>
> WDYT?

Sure, sounds reasonable! I'm unsure I'll have time to chase upstream
however. In the meantime, see the attached patch to get around the issue
with libid3tag.

I'm afraid I couldn't find a way to make the configure script work
without pkg-config. I got as far as patching it to think libid3tag was
found, but then I couldn't find how to set CFLAGS and LDFLAGS to include
libid3tag. It appears using pkg-config for some dependencies but not
others is tricky here.

So in the end, I settled with creating a temporary local .pc file. It
feels like a bit of a hack but I thought it would be the most
future-proof option, WDYT?

>
> Does the EasyTag patch need to be adjusted?  (I wanted to test but
> there’s currently no webkit-gtk substitute so…)
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

Thanks,
Pierre