Subject: bug#29620: closed (Re: bug#29620: configure fails when cross-compiling for the same architecture)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2020 15:45:02 +0000

Your bug report

#29620: configure fails when cross-compiling for the same architecture

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
29620: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=29620
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#29620: configure fails when cross-compiling for the same architecture
From: Pip Cet <[email-masked]>
To: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Cc: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2020 15:44:09 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On Mon, Aug 10, 2020 at 3:42 PM Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> wrote:
> So should this be closed?

Yes, thanks!

Subject: configure fails when cross-compiling for the same architecture
From: Pip Cet <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2017 00:10:05 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I tried building Paul's MPX patch on a CPU that doesn't support MPX,
so I could run the executable with Intel's CPU emulator. I used
./configure CFLAGS="-O2 -g3 -mmpx -fcheck-pointer-bounds", but that
failed because the executable produced by the tputs test cannot run
(natively) on my CPU.

It would be nice to have a configure option to specify that while
build and target machines share the same architecture, they don't
share the same -m flags, so that we're effectively cross-compiling. Is
this possible with autoconf?