Subject: bug#29615: 25.2; DNS multiple addresses and `open-protocol-stream`

From: Live System User <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2017 08:19:59 -0500

On Dez 09 2017, Andreas Schwab <schwab <at> linux-m68k.org> wrote:
>On Dez 08 2017, Live System User <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>>  (nnimap "aol"
>>        (nnimap-address "imap.aim.com")
>>        (nnimap-server-port 993)
>>        (nnimap-stream ssl)
>
>I'm using similar select methods, and they work for me.  But I don't set
>nnimap-stream or nnimap-server-port, but let Gnus figure that out by
>itself.

        It appears that `open-protocol-stream' is being passed the
        stanza name/label by either the `nnimap-open-connection' or
        ``nnimap-open-connection-1' functions instead of the explicit
        specified value of "nnimap-address":

	      (open-protocol-stream
	       "*nnimap*" (current-buffer) nnimap-address
	       (nnimap-map-port (car ports))
	       :type nnimap-stream
               [...]

        The `open-protocol-stream' function is defined as:
        
        (open-protocol-stream NAME BUFFER HOST SERVICE &rest PARAMETERS)

        According to the backtrace, the HOST being passed to and used
        by `open-protocol-stream' is "aol":

open-protocol-stream("*nnimap*" #<buffer  *nnimap aol nil  *nntpd**-338562> "aol" "993" :type ssl

        However, this same backtrace shows

  nnimap-open-server("aol" ((nnimap-address "imap.aim.com")
  (nnimap-server-port 993) (nnimap-stream ssl)

        So why isn't [nnimap-address "imap.aim.com"] being used?
        It should be passed to `open-protocol-stream' by
        `nnimap-open-connection-1' (which gets it from
        `nnimap-open-connection').

        In your setup, can you confirm that the "nnimap-address"
        address is being passed and used and NOT the stanza name/label
        in the functions `nnimap-open-connection',
        `nnimap-open-connection-1' and `open-protocol-stream'?

        Thanks.