Subject: 25.2; DNS multiple addresses and `open-protocol-stream'

From: Live System User <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2017 14:40:01 -0500

(heap 1024 95747 32110))

On Dez 08 2017, Andreas Schwab <schwab <at> linux-m68k.org> wrote:
>On Dez 08 2017, Live System User <nyc4bos <at> aol.com> wrote:
>
>>         Perhaps it's failing on one of the multiple resolved IP
>>         addresses found amd not trying the next resolved IP address
>>         that was returned (until the pool is exhausted) before
>>         giving up with the error "aol/993 Name or service not known"?
>
>Does it work if you use one of the working IP addresses?

      Oddly enough it doesn't!

      Neither adding the working IP address to /etc/hosts nor changing
      `gnus-secondary-select-methods' nnimap-address to that address
      worked.

      But when I changed the stanza from:

          nnimap "aol"

      to

          nnimap "imap.aim.com"

      it worked.

      So apparremtly, defining the slot

           (nnimap-address "imap.aim.com")

      is not being honored when `gnus-secondary-select-methods'
      contains:

 (nnimap "aol"
	 (nnimap-address "imap.aim.com")
	 (nnimap-server-port 993)
	 (nnimap-stream ssl)

      Gnus is using "aol" instead of "imap.aim.com" as evidenced
      by if I add

            152.163.0.97 aol

      to /etc/hosts I am now able to connect when the stanza is "aol".

      Based on the backtrace I sent previously, are the correct
      parameters being sent?

      It appears that the function `nnimap-open-server' has the
      correct parameters passed to `nnimap-open-connection' so
      what or where is the problem?
      
      Thanks.