Subject: 25.2; package.el upgrade problem

From: Live System User <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2017 09:34:12 -0500

Hi,

        I ran into the following problem when using package.el to
          upgrade my installed packages to the latest available
          versions:

1. M-x package-list-packages

2. U             `package-menu-mark-upgrades'
   A message displaying in the echo-area that 4 packages are marked
   to be upgraded -- 3 from Gnu Elpa and 1 from Melpa

3. x             `package-menu-execute'
  The upgrades comenced starting with the one from Melpa.  After that
  one finished, I got the following message in the echo-area:

       elpa.gnu.org/443 Name or service not known

  I try "x" `package-menu-execute' again and get the same
  "elpa.gnu.org/443 Name or service not known" message.  Must be a
  transient error at elpa.gnu.org because I can "ping" it:

PING elpa.gnu.org (208.118.235.89) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from elpa.gnu.org (208.118.235.89): icmp_seq=1 ttl=55 time=34.5
ms

  I'll exit out of package.el's menu and try again later...

4. q             `quit-window

  I look at my ~/.emacs.d/elpa and I see two versions of the Melpa
  package that I just upgraded -- the old/obsoleted one and the newly
  upgraded one.  Ordinarily, the obsoleted ome is removed at the
  conclusion of an (successful) upgrade.  But since this upgrade wasn't
  completely successful -- the 3 Gnu Elpa packages failed to be
  upgraded even though the Melpa one was successfully upgraded -- I'm
  guessing that's why the obsoleted one wasn't removed.

  Some time has passed and I try to upgrade my packages again.

5. M-x package-list-packages

6. U             `package-menu-mark-upgrades'
   Now only 3 packages are marked to be upgraded, all from Gnu Elpa,
   as expected.

7. x             `package-menu-execute'
   This time the upgrades are successful for the Gnu Elpa packages and
   the obsolete Gnu Elpa packages are removed.

   However, the obsolete Melpa package remains.

   How does one deal with this situation with an unwanted obsolete
   package?
   
   Will it remain until a newer version of the package in the future
   obsoletes today's current version and then remove both/all obsoleted
   versions?

   Or will only the previous obsolete version be removed leaving any
   other ancestor?

   [I can see that if package.el supports "pinning" a specific version
   of a package so that it wont be removed might make an automatic
   removal of obsoleted previous package's ancestor problematic to
   guard against.]

  So does this now become a manual removal process in this reported
  situation?  If so, then are there steps to do this within package;el
  (besides the obvious remove the package compeletely to get rid of
  ALL versions of the package -- both lastest and ancestors -- and then
  reinstall the package)?

  Or will one have to just resort to deleting the package directory
  of the obsoleted version of the package manually?

  Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 25.2.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.20.10)
 of 2017-05-02 built on buildvm-17.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor 'Fedora Project', version 11.0.11803000
Configured using:
 'configure --build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 --host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu --program-prefix=
 --disable-dependency-tracking --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr
 --bindir=/usr/bin --sbindir=/usr/sbin --sysconfdir=/etc
 --datadir=/usr/share --includedir=/usr/include --libdir=/usr/lib64
 --libexecdir=/usr/libexec --localstatedir=/var
 --sharedstatedir=/var/lib --mandir=/usr/share/man
 --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-dbus --with-gif --with-jpeg --with-png
 --with-rsvg --with-tiff --with-xft --with-xpm --with-x-toolkit=gtk3
 --with-gpm=no --with-xwidgets --with-modules
 build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu
 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g -pipe -Wall -Werror=format-security
 -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector-strong
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -grecord-gcc-switches
 -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-cc1 -m64 -mtune=generic'
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=:/usr/lib64/pkgconfig:/usr/share/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS NOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES XWIDGETS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
funcall-interactively: End of buffer
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.

funcall-interactively: Beginning of buffer [10 times]
funcall-interactively: Text is read-only [2 times]
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug eieio-opt speedbar sb-image ezimage dframe find-func pp
thingatpt mailalias smtpmail sendmail debug sort gnus-cite smiley
ansi-color mail-extr gnus-async gnus-bcklg qp gnus-ml disp-table
cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh nndoc mm-archive jka-compr timezone url-http
url-gw url-cache url-auth url-handlers utf-7 rfc2104 nnfolder
network-stream nsm starttls gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode
nnvirtual gnus-msg nntp gnus-cache epa-file epa derived nnreddit mm-url
url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs url-vars json map seq byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cl-extra
cconv gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap cl gv
sieve sieve-mode sieve-manage nnir gnus-sum gnus-group gnus-undo
gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail mail-source tls gnutls utf7 netrc
parse-time gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message dired format-spec
rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems wid-edit nnoo nnheader
gnus-util mm-util help-fns help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib
mail-prsvr mail-utils misearch multi-isearch time-date mule-util tooltip
eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help
simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
xwidget-internal move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 217442 50107)
 (symbols 48 31609 420)
 (miscs 40 142 569)
 (strings 32 58115 16037)
 (string-bytes 1 1783839)
 (vectors 16 27769)
 (vector-slots 8 862483 53634)
 (floats 8 418 1607)
 (intervals 56 525 320)
 (buffers 976 47)
 (heap 1024 60839 44510))