Subject: bug#29611: 25.3; help navigation error

From: Alex Branham <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 16:17:38 -0600

Clicking on a specific link from a specific help buffer results in an error. On Emacs 25.3, from emacs -q:

M-/ (dabbrev-expand)

C-h v dabbrev-select-buffers-function

<TAB> <TAB> <RET> (navigate to the second link and click it)

results in:

apply: Wrong number of arguments: #[(fun file &optional type) "ÄÅ!Æ=.ÇÈ	!Á\".É	
#.Ê@!ËÌ!A+.Ab..ÍÎ!)" [file fun type location require find-func C-source help-C-file-name indirect-function find-function-search-for-symbol ...] 4], 1

Thanks,
Alex

In GNU Emacs 25.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.19)
 of 2017-09-16 built on juergen
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11905000
Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft --with-modules
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong
 -fno-plt' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG IMAGEMAGICK SOUND GPM DBUS GCONF GSETTINGS
NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 MODULES

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Help

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent messages:
Scanning for dabbrevs...done
user-error: No dynamic expansion for ‘buffer.

’ found
Type C-x 1 to delete the help window.
mouse-2, RET: find variable's definition
mouse-2, RET: find function's definition
apply: Wrong number of arguments: #[(fun file &optional type) "ÄÅ!Æ=.ÇÈ	!Á\".É	
#.Ê@!ËÌ!A+.Ab..ÍÎ!)" [file fun type location require find-func C-source help-C-file-name indirect-function find-function-search-for-symbol ...] 4], 1
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec password-cache epg epg-config gnus-util mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils dabbrev
thingatpt help-fns help-mode easymenu cl-loaddefs pcase cl-lib time-date
mule-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cl-generic cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese charscript case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote dbusbind inotify dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 87298 5725)
 (symbols 48 19850 0)
 (miscs 40 62 96)
 (strings 32 14679 4944)
 (string-bytes 1 420586)
 (vectors 16 11936)
 (vector-slots 8 432906 5933)
 (floats 8 173 61)
 (intervals 56 233 16)
 (buffers 976 19))