Subject: [web site] Broken links in the HTML manual

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2017 20:35:37 +0100

Guix,

[Opening a new bug for these, rather than further overloading #29591.]

I'm celebrating the new Guix web with a quick and certainly incomplete
sweep for dead links in the HTML manual at gnu.org. I think (though I
have no data to back this up) that a significant number of newer users
are far more likely to use this version than any copy shipped with Guix.
Young people and their webs and all that.

So far, I've found the following:

- Defining Packages[0]:
  “GNU configuration triplets” is broken.
  It points inside the Guix manual, not autoconf's.

- Package Management[1]:
  “The Emacs-Guix Reference Manual” is broken.
  It points to a URI with duplicate ‘/index.html’s.

- Using the Offload Facility[2]:
  “Converting keys” points to #Converting-keys, the target site uses
  #Converting%20keys. I don't know who's right. The page still loads
  so the user can navigate manually, but it would still be nice to fix.

- Formatting Code[3]:
  Similarly points to ‘index.html/Development.html’ when it should use
  only ‘Development.html’.

- Networking Services[4]:
  “lsh-make-seed” and “lshd basics” also use bad anchors, so the user
  has to search and scroll.

- The Perfect Setup[5]:
  “Introduction in the Geiser User Manual” is a broken link.

- Continuous Integration[6]:
  “Associations Lists in GNU Guile Reference Manual” is broken.
  It points inside the Guix manual, not Guile's.

- Mapped Devices[7]:
  “Translators in The GNU Hurd Reference Manual” is broken.
  It points inside the Guix manual, not The Hurd's.

- Documentation[8]:
  “Getting Started in Info: An Introduction” is broken.

Even without any Texinfo knowledge, I thought this would be easy to
quickly fix myself. I had no such luck.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[0]:
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Defining-Packages.html
[1]:
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Package-Management.html
[2]:
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Daemon-Offload-Setup.html
[3]: https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Formatting-Code.html
[4]:
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Networking-Services.html
[5]:
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/The-Perfect-Setup.html
[6]:
https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Continuous-Integration.html
[7]: https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Mapped-Devices.html
[8]: https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Documentation.html